so I had a chick with eye problems and foot problem.

ninja333pirate

Songster
Aug 3, 2020
Pacific Northwest, WA
So I just hatched a chick today that she didn't seem too stable (not nearly as stable as the newly hatched siblings of hers) like when she moved around her feet just didn't want to work for her. And when I went to open the incubator she kicked out and took a tumbled down to the floor dropping about 2 and a half feet I put her in the incubator and proceeded to remove all the dry chicks leaving her and one other that just hatched. and I figured I would wait and watch, at first as she was drying off she didn't look injured as far as I could tell.

later when the 2 dried off I took them to hang out in the brooder with her siblings and , realized right away that one of her eyes looked odd I took a pic of the one that looked worse, and then noticed the other eye also doesn't look too good but not quite as bad. and one foot is curled inward. she doesn't make any sound when I probe around her foot, and it doesn't look or feel swollen. and she doesn't make any sound when holding her like I would expect her too if she had any broken bones. anyone have any advice? I did go ahead and put her back in the incubator so she is not trampled on or pecked at by her siblings. should I euthanize her or is there anything I can do for her?
oh and when she walks she does put weight on it she does not hold it up.
here are the pictures.
her eyes are both open but this one has red on it, and the other looked odd like this but without the red (this one looks like it has more liquid coming out of it then the other)
injured chick 3.jpg

The other foot looks just fine, but this one is bowed inward.
injured chick.jpg

injured chick2.jpg

Attachments

• injured chick.jpg
    injured chick.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
  • injured chick 3.jpg
    injured chick 3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3
I have figured out the foot is whats called curled toes, so I am going to try and brace the toes, and as soon as I can get some b12 tomorrow I will treat it with some b12. As for the eye I am not sure what to do for her. I will continue to use veterisyn gel eye drops on her eyes until someone hopefully gives me an idea what else to use in her eye.

B2 or riboflavin is for a curled under toes, not B12. You can get human B complex tablets, and crush one and dissolve in a spoonful of water. Then give 1/4 tablet daily. Or human Polyvisol without iron drops 3 drops daily. A shoe made out of tape on top and bottom with the toes placed in a normal position can help. If the chick dropped over 2 feet, there could be internal injuries where it may need to be culled if it does not improve.

B2 or riboflavin is for a curled under toes, not B12. You can get human B complex tablets, and crush one and dissolve in a spoonful of water. Then give 1/4 tablet daily. Or human Polyvisol without iron drops 3 drops daily. A shoe made out of tape on top and bottom with the toes placed in a normal position can help. If the chick dropped over 2 feet, there could be internal injuries where it may need to be culled if it does not improve.
oh yea b2 thats what it was, thanks for correcting me.

It doesn't show any signs of internal damage after several hours, only her eye problem and her eye and leg problem and I am sure the leg problem was before her fall, (I think its what caused it since she was trying to move around she ended up pushing herself out of the incubator onto the floor (biggest flaw of the nurture right 360 incubator its walls are so low its hard to keep all the chicks contained when taking them out)
you have any idea what is wrong with the eye? both are shaped odd like the one in the pic but the other eye has no showing 3rd eye lid and can close further, It leads me to believe the eye problem is also from hatch just because she fell on one side and both eyes are odd.

The eye issue may be a birth defect or possibly from a peck. Some chicks are born with eyes that don’t close properly. I would probably try to treat it with eye ointment for a day or two, and consider culling it if it doesn’t improve.

The eye issue may be a birth defect or possibly from a peck. Some chicks are born with eyes that don’t close properly. I would probably try to treat it with eye ointment for a day or two, and consider culling it if it doesn’t improve.
yea I am going to be using veterisyn to treat her eyes and maybe after she rests I will pull her out and look at her closely and see if there is anything I can do to work her 3rd eyelid back in, I believe she had her eyes closed when I moved her to the brooder as she would sleep regularly, so I wonder if the other chicks pecked at her eyes.
would you suggest anything else to treat her eye besides or on top of the veterisyn?

Back
Top Bottom