So sad. My first dog(black lab) and cancer.

I am so sorry, this is one of the most heartbreaking decisions you will have to make. Its been six months since we lost our River and he is still greatly missed.
19319_new_years_014.jpg

Terri your River looks so much like my beloved dog. I just dread the day we come to this point.

I can't remember who mentioned it in a previous thread along the same lines, but it made a lot of sense. It's better to put them to sleep a day too early than a day too late and feeling guilty for prolonging their pain.

He had pancreatic cancer so, he got sick real fast, but it didn't make it any easier. I can tell you time does, you tend to remember all the good and silly things, you know, the stuff you took for granted.

I am so sorry!!!! I know how you feel. I have been there and it breaks your heart to have to make such a choice. This is the hardest thing for you to do but also the greatest and last kindness you can show a friend....Be there for him, let your sight and scent and touch be the last things he experiences in this world, not the pain. When I had my first dog and he got older I hoped that I could get the vet to come to the house if I had to let him go. I found a (mobile) vet in advance and in the end he suddenly had an acute problem (not age related) on a Friday evening and we ended up at the emergency vet. He deterioted quickly and by 2 am that night I had to say my last good bye. Not at home but at least I was with him and he went peacefully. I still miss him everyday. I will keep both of you in my thoughts...

Quote:
It just seems that this cancer is becoming more and more common, yet funding for its research has decreased.

I'm sorry, but that's just NOT right. My dog has pancreatitis, but he's 13 years old. I know his time is coming, but in the meantime, he is so happy and carefree. I love my old man!

You will do the right thing at the right time because you love your dog. The decision is not an easy one, but it will be the right one.
hugs.gif

Thanks so much...
He is resting comfortably now, I gave him a double pain med dose and he is actually snoring.

You guys are so right, better to go a day early than a day too late... I am having a housecall so his last moments are in his own yard with his familiar sounds and sights around him.

I have a feeling it will be better when this is over... just deciding is the hard part.

hit.gif
:hugs
i know the feeling, my dog sammie is 13 years old and now is limping, (probably arthritis) it will be a hard thing, i wont be doing it,, my hubby will have to do that deed, he can be a bad boy (stealing food off the table) but hes protective to me and my children, hes my buddy.
i know and i feel for you. enjoy the time you have together,
always,
andrea

I agree with you that making the actual decision and getting it done is the hardest part. Dealing with the loss after is hard too but you can only go forward from there. I'm so glad you are able to let him go at home, I think it's so much nicer for the pets. I hope I am able to do that when it's time.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom