So, so worried.

TXchickenchick

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Floresville, TX
We live in South Texas. My 15 y/o son is on a band trip to Saint Louis, MO. They headed home this afternoon to arrive home tomorrow. My son just sent me a text a few minutes ago telling me that they are under a tornado warning and they have the kids in a truck stop. They are in Joplin, MO. :( I trust our band directors completely to do everything possible to keep our kids safe but I am so scared. I just want him home safe with me right now. :(

Of course you are worried and scared, I would be too. But I also think the adults with the group will do their best to keep the kids safe, and themselves. It's great with modern technology that your son can text you. It wasn't so long ago that we didn't have that benefit and would just have to worry sick till kids or spouses made it home.
hugs.gif

I know, isn't modern technology wonderful. His phone actually got lost a few days before the trip and as bad as I hated to spend the money I insisted we buy a new one immediately. I wasn't about to have him that far away and phoneless! He said they just loaded them back on the bus. I am not going to be sleeping tonight! But yes, I 100% trust our band directors. They love these kids like they are their own.

That's good, I guess it is a long ride home. I always wait up all night - can't sleep . Once they are home, I have the best sleep ever. It evens out. Good night, hope you will update when he gets home & tells you how the band did. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Yes, with stops along the way the trip there took about 18 hours. Lol yes it does even out, doesn't it. :) Thanks so much. I am sure they are going to make it home safe and sound tomorrow. Good night. :)

I got busy and forgot to update this! My kiddo arrived back here at about 2 this afternoon. Safe and exhausted. They had a wonderful time except for last night's scare. They were apparently crammed 5 kids to a shower stall in a truck stop shower which sounds like probably about the safest place you could find when on the road with two big charter busses full of teenagers. So, as I expected to be, I am proud of our wonderful and dedicated band directors and the other chaperones along on the trip. It's just so good to have my kid in his own bed tonight. :)

That's wonderful. What instrument does your son play? How did the band do in St.Louis?? I had checked earlier to see if you updated and thought I would just try again now since I'm still up. . Alls well that ends well
hugs.gif

Hi! :) My son plays trombone. And (please pardon my mom brag i just can't help myself) even though he is just a freshman, he is first chair trombone for our school. The band got all 1's which is the highest score. I love having my kids in band. It gives them so much. My oldest son plays sax but dropped out of band for other things he thought were more important and has regretted it since. My 14 y/o also plays sax. They all fight over what the 4y/o should play. I tell them if they don't leave him alone he might turn into an art kid. Lol

And yes it is! :) Thank you so much for your concern! Just more proof that chicken people are good people! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom