so what are these chicks? I'm guessing some type of dinosaur

Sparring is pretty common with both sexes, so as long as they aren't drawing blood I wouldn't worry about it... if they are really bad then I would just cull one early if you can't separate them. They will eventually start to go after the girls, but with any luck they will be ready to star in dinner before they get too bad... I like around 16-20 weeks for that kind of breed as dinner, but with roos any age they start to annoy you is a good age ....

I think I am going to try and put some type of divider in the brooder with chicken wire. Should I leave one rooster all alone or put one of the 3 hens in there with him?
Thanks

So these guys are now about a month old and fighting. What is my best option here? Separating them isn't really an option. Will they keep it up at this age? Or work it out? What age is a good time to get them ready for the pot? Are they gonna go after the hens?
Thanks
How much space do they have? This age is really too young for hormone or gender driven fighting. Usually difficulties at this age are from overcrowding.

They are in a 5x3ft brooder. There are only 5 of them so I can't imagine that not being enough room but i dont know. The only other thing I was thinking might have been an issue was using those small round metal feeder. So I got the long type.

Last edited:
Glad everybody seems to be happy, good luck with the boys, hope they behave until they are ready to become dinner stars.

Back
Top Bottom