So when do you give your chicks vitamins or electrolytes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Do you just keep them on hand all the time, or do you give them whenever??

Our chicks seem pretty full of life, even our little guy is doing so well, feathers still don't look good, but he/she is eat, drinking, pooping and was the first one to start devouring crickets yesterday.

When is a good time for vitamins and/or electrolytes??

2. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I've been giving my chicks vitamins and electrolytes in there water since I got them. They are 7 weeks old now and I still give it to them. I don't know when to quit giving it to them or if I should even still be giving it to them so I'd like to know that. It's a powder that u mix with there water. I got mine at TSC.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I give mine for the first 2 weeks then once a week for another couple of weeks. Everyone gets it when is very hot outside it helps rehydrate them.

4. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay, so if I just buy like the Pedialyte stuff (for kids/babies) do I just use that in their water jug instead of water?? And I have Poly Vi-Sol, do I just put in a dropper or so in the Pedialyte?

I am still using a quart size jar for their water right now.

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine... I give vitamin when I see sign of disease coming... [​IMG]

sounds late but that's why I'm doing since it'll be bad to eat chicken that fed by medicine and any other goods than the natural one.. right? [​IMG]

6. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    You can over-feed the vitamins.

I only use it on new chicks and when treating a sick bird. If you wish to offer more than that, you might try offering regular water in one container and vitamin water in another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by