Soap Lake Municipal code forcing me to keep my chickens in their coop PERMANENTLY

After lookin at changing this, will city council use the language against me here? They state they need to be inside a “henhouse, coop, or tractor” could they argue a tractor provides them that space and sunlight?

After lookin at changing this, will city council use the language against me here? They state they need to be inside a “henhouse, coop, or tractor” could they argue a tractor provides them that space and sunlight?
Wonders if an actual run with at least a mesh roof would satisfy them?
Right now I see a yard with fencing and chickens inside it.

If a dog running around contained in a backyard isn't considered 'at large' then chickens shouldn't be either.
Meanwhile...free roaming cats..
Would they consider children playing in a fenced, contained, backyard unsupervised or endangered?!

That said, a 4 foot fence wouldn't keep my girls in/out and once out, they would be 'at large'.

keep on trying to educate folks! lots of bylaws need updating. food security, food deserts and climate change is a real issue in 2023 and laws need to reflect that. what's with their charge of 'too much dirt'? are they just looking for things or what. sounds like they're bored.

maybe you can build a 'coop' like a California coops style but with solid sides, so it looks like a 'coop' but has a hardware cloth top so they get sunlight and air?
Unfortunately I can’t due to our winters getting pretty extreme, but it’s definitely a thought! There is a 120 sq ft limit to the space for chickens as well here. They have been trying to get me for the appearance of my yard and my chickens so, the dirt is them nitpicking.

Hello,
City municipal code link here: https://www.codepublishing.com/WA/SoapLake/

I am a very frustrated and angry chicken owner. I am working very hard to keep my girls safe and happy. I have a neighbor who had called municipal code on my coop for being too close to my property line. So I moved it. Then I got another letter for my “chickens running at large”
The attached photo is their proof. The photos is my girls in a run I’ve been building.
I called the police department and they specified that if my chickens are not in a coop, henhouse, or tractor then they are considered at large. I don’t have money to buy anything new. Also my girls like to walk around my backyard while my wife is home but apparently that’s even more of a no now. I can’t keep them in my wooden coop!! That’s inhumane!! They need to forage.
The code officer told me if I don’t like it I need to change the municipal code by getting in contact with city council.

If dogs can be inside a fence and not be at large, my girls should too.
Also apologies on my yard, it’s a work in progress.

Please help!! I don’t know where to go from here on…

I'm not an attorney, but after reading the code language the first thing I would do is put a sign on the chickens home that says something like "Bubblesunrise Hen House" so it's clear that it is a house for hens. A hen house, according to the code, does not require a $50 "coop license". Unless you've already paid the one time "coop license".

That code is rather non-chicken friendly. Maybe see if the Farm to Consumer Legal defense fund can provide advice. https://www.farmtoconsumer.org/

Read Joel Salatin's "Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal: War Stories from the Local Food Front" for inspiration.

Good Luck!

I'm not an attorney, but after reading the code language the first thing I would do is put a sign on the chickens home that says something like "Bubblesunrise Hen House" so it's clear that it is a house for hens. A hen house, according to the code, does not require a $50 "coop license". Unless you've already paid the one time "coop license".

That code is rather non-chicken friendly. Maybe see if the Farm to Consumer Legal defense fund can provide advice. https://www.farmtoconsumer.org/

Read Joel Salatin's "Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal: War Stories from the Local Food Front" for inspiration.

Good Luck!
Thank you for your advice!!! It really feels like my municipal code is not chicken friendly. I am going to read more into this!

Hello all,
The man volunteering for municipal code enforcer refused to close my case based on 6.07.010 section M of my municipal code stating chickens must be kept in coops, henhouses, or tractors at all times.
But reading over my municipal code I found a section that includes the term “chicken run”
By having that in there, wouldn’t this make section M null? Why have a run if you are going to get fined for it? Can I call him back and use this as leverage to close my case with municipal code?
IMG_3670.jpeg
IMG_3671.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom