Socializing chicks

BzKneez

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2019
Question 1 answers: I have had raised chicks for about 2 years now, and all my chicks have been a little bit shy at that age. So it's normal for them to be a little bit scared.

Imagine yourself 3 weeks after hatching, still don't know about the world you were born into, and a giant picking you up and cuddling you. I would be a little bit scared wouldn't you?

Question 2 answers: The best way to socialize is to just keep holding them.

Question 3 answers: It depends, if the bathroom is small, you might want to put them in a larger area. Also, do you keep the lights on in there? I think it's best to keep the lights on if you haven't already.

Now I hold my chick whenever I have time. I suggest you do the same. That's what I do.

ChickensAreFantastic!

BTW, I wish you luck on your new chicks 🐔🐔🐔🐔
Thank you for all the tips. I do understand why they'd be scared. I just couldn't recall if they just naturally get over this with time or whether I need to actively try to socialize them with holding, etc. Only one red orpington doesn't seem frightened by me; she lets me pet her and stroke her beak and will jump into the palm of my hand but she doesn't like it when I pick her up. The others run off when I try to touch them. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to try to hold all six of them several times a day so I've just been rotating.

The bathroom is relatively small. I've been leaving their heat lamp on 24/7 and reducing the temp by 5 degrees each week. They seem to be comfortable with their temp. There's a window in the bathroom so when it's sunny, I just leave the blind open. I leave the bath light on sometimes but not all day. I figured the regular day light was enough. Is that incorrect? Should I give them more light? I also read somewhere that perhaps I don't need to l leave the heat lamp on 24/7 anymore. How and when do I wean them off of that?

rosemarythyme

Free Ranging
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to try to hold all six of them several times a day so I've just been rotating.

The bathroom is relatively small. I've been leaving their heat lamp on 24/7 and reducing the temp by 5 degrees each week. They seem to be comfortable with their temp. There's a window in the bathroom so when it's sunny, I just leave the blind open. I leave the bath light on sometimes but not all day. I figured the regular day light was enough. Is that incorrect? Should I give them more light? I also read somewhere that perhaps I don't need to l leave the heat lamp on 24/7 anymore. How and when do I wean them off of that?
If you want to socialize them without being so hands on, maybe you could make a part time enclosure in your office, and bring them over for a couple hours a day, so they just get used to you existing around them. Unless you want them to be super pet-like even handling them twice a day should be enough to get them used to you so they grow up to be easy to handle adults.

As far as light, I would say it's nice to have the bath light on for any days that's too gloomy/overcast, otherwise the natural light is fine.

At 3 weeks they should still have heat available around the clock but they're pretty close to coming off of it, assuming you don't have issues keeping stable temperatures in the house. Reducing the heat (which you're already doing) is how you wean them off heat.

Top Bottom