Socializing chicks

I think either the bathroom (quiet) or office (busy) would be fine - but I'd opt for the bathroom. I worry less over whether their little panicky selves can take the noise in the office, and more about the dander they're going to be spreading all over your office area.

Question 1 answers: I have had raised chicks for about 2 years now, and all my chicks have been a little bit shy at that age. So it's normal for them to be a little bit scared.

Imagine yourself 3 weeks after hatching, still don't know about the world you were born into, and a giant picking you up and cuddling you. I would be a little bit scared wouldn't you?

Question 2 answers: The best way to socialize is to just keep holding them.

Question 3 answers: It depends, if the bathroom is small, you might want to put them in a larger area. Also, do you keep the lights on in there? I think it's best to keep the lights on if you haven't already.

Now I hold my chick whenever I have time. I suggest you do the same. That's what I do.

ChickensAreFantastic!

BTW, I wish you luck on your new chicks 🐔🐔🐔🐔
Thank you for all the tips. I do understand why they'd be scared. I just couldn't recall if they just naturally get over this with time or whether I need to actively try to socialize them with holding, etc. Only one red orpington doesn't seem frightened by me; she lets me pet her and stroke her beak and will jump into the palm of my hand but she doesn't like it when I pick her up. The others run off when I try to touch them. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to try to hold all six of them several times a day so I've just been rotating.

The bathroom is relatively small. I've been leaving their heat lamp on 24/7 and reducing the temp by 5 degrees each week. They seem to be comfortable with their temp. There's a window in the bathroom so when it's sunny, I just leave the blind open. I leave the bath light on sometimes but not all day. I figured the regular day light was enough. Is that incorrect? Should I give them more light? I also read somewhere that perhaps I don't need to l leave the heat lamp on 24/7 anymore. How and when do I wean them off of that?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to try to hold all six of them several times a day so I've just been rotating.

The bathroom is relatively small. I've been leaving their heat lamp on 24/7 and reducing the temp by 5 degrees each week. They seem to be comfortable with their temp. There's a window in the bathroom so when it's sunny, I just leave the blind open. I leave the bath light on sometimes but not all day. I figured the regular day light was enough. Is that incorrect? Should I give them more light? I also read somewhere that perhaps I don't need to l leave the heat lamp on 24/7 anymore. How and when do I wean them off of that?

If you want to socialize them without being so hands on, maybe you could make a part time enclosure in your office, and bring them over for a couple hours a day, so they just get used to you existing around them. Unless you want them to be super pet-like even handling them twice a day should be enough to get them used to you so they grow up to be easy to handle adults.

As far as light, I would say it's nice to have the bath light on for any days that's too gloomy/overcast, otherwise the natural light is fine.

At 3 weeks they should still have heat available around the clock but they're pretty close to coming off of it, assuming you don't have issues keeping stable temperatures in the house. Reducing the heat (which you're already doing) is how you wean them off heat.

Thanks to all of you for all of your help. Here are a few pix of my little pecker heads. (And I call them that affectionately.) :)

Attachments

• IMG_6864.jpg
    IMG_6864.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6857.jpg
    IMG_6857.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6855.jpg
    IMG_6855.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 6
I think the more they are exposed the better they can adapt. I keep mine in my office in a large dog kennel, with the top open (wire across to prevent escaping) and a wire door on one side so they can see us. We've had this set since day one, and they still run around like we are going to kill them when we walk over, but I think that's more just "I'm a prey animal" type reaction. We hold them several times a day, and give them treats. We let them roam on the floor and now outside a bit (I have 3, they are 3 and 4 weeks) and they really like that. They still run when we try to pick them up, but settle quickly. Our dog stays behind gates but can get close enough to sniff them, and they certainly hear her barking, and us talking all day. One nice thing about this isolation is my daughter is always home and gets to spend a lot of time with them. Normally she is in school most of the day and misses them. Just keep holding and offering treats. They will get used to you but remember, they are a prey animal, so instinct will win out for a while.

Back
Top Bottom