Soft torn egg

Please don't panic. No need for it, and it's not productive. We'll help.

Give her one calcium citrate with vitamin D3 supplement. Not all layers absorb calcium as well as they should from layer feed or oyster shell since calcium carbonate is the least easily absorbed forms. The calcium is in the people vitamin aisle.

It will help expel any lingering egg remains that could still be inside her. You will know if this may be the case if there's fluid coming from her vent and she is squatting and straining to expel whatever is left. She will also be lethargic and in pain, tail held low and flat.

If it appears she still has broken egg inside her she'll need an oral antibiotic to stop the bacterial infection that almost always grows in broken egg yolk. You will know this is necessary if she is exhibiting the signs I listed.
I noticed when I found the egg that it was just the clear stuff. Does that mean anything?

BB89E7EF-D855-40DA-82A1-12BDE44A2B72.jpeg

I may not speak whatever language this is written in (forgive me but do they really need to make these treatments have such complicated names?) but it worked so well! We gave it to Joy twice a day for two weeks and she fought the EYP like nobody’s business (I sincerely have no idea what this medicine is but it worked) it was given to us by the vet so of course I doubt you can just buy it off the internet. We have been keeping it in the fridge just in case we may run into another issue when our pullets start laying this fall.

Clear fluid means an obstruction, and continued clear fluid from her vent means it's still obstructed with material, even a small amount. The calcium supplement encourages strong contractions to push this obstruction out. You may see it, or not. Your hen will suddenly feel better, so that will tell you she's going to be fine.

Clear fluid means an obstruction, and continued clear fluid from her vent means it's still obstructed with material, even a small amount. The calcium supplement encourages strong contractions to push this obstruction out. You may see it, or not. Your hen will suddenly feel better, so that will tell you she's going to be fine.
Fluid just shot out of her.

View attachment 2383357
I may not speak whatever language this is written in (forgive me but do they really need to make these treatments have such complicated names?) but it worked so well! We gave it to Joy twice a day for two weeks and she fought the EYP like nobody’s business (I sincerely have no idea what this medicine is but it worked) it was given to us by the vet so of course I doubt you can just buy it off the internet. We have been keeping it in the fridge just in case we may run into another issue when our pullets start laying this fall.
It's a very good combo of two antibiotics. You're lucky to have that.

Did you give her the Tums yet? Do it now, if not. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink. This is making her thirsty and we don't want dehydration to make it harder for her to clear the remains.

I’m glad that we could catch this on BYC before it was to late- in my case it hardened inside my hen before we could do anything (it was late in the day before we new what to do) so a vet was our only option- but I would hope that we can help the OPs pullet from becoming sick, because giving your chickens medication labeled in gibberish is not fun 👎

So clear fluid shot out of her mixed with a small amount of pooo. Now she is playing and scratching. How soon will I know if she has an infection? Is it possible that resolved it?

Back
Top Bottom