solar panels on coop?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
We get a lot of days in zero or close to that *(plus or minus) here in the winter. I have one hen that perches alone while the other six huddle together on another perch. I was wondering - I hear all the negatives about supplementary heat and all for good reason. Does anyone have any thoughts on putting solar panels on the coop to help heat it naturally? I worry for my one hen who has nobody to snuggle with when it gets that cold.

I would put one if some one give me one for free, together with inverter and battery, You will need lots of Amp-hours to heat not well insulated coop while still allowing some ventilation, so lots of $$ in equipment. Heating naturally would be having south facing windows with a large dark color thermal mass inside. Also heat generating composting bedding on the floor.

We get a lot of days in zero or close to that *(plus or minus) here in the winter. I have one hen that perches alone while the other six huddle together on another perch. I was wondering - I hear all the negatives about supplementary heat and all for good reason. Does anyone have any thoughts on putting solar panels on the coop to help heat it naturally? I worry for my one hen who has nobody to snuggle with when it gets that cold.
A 'solar panel' will not heat your coop, naturally or other wise.
Do you mean to say have a heater that runs off Solar ?
That is still a heat source and with all heat sources there is risk of fire.

If she gets cold she will get closer to the others.

Are you in the mountains of NJ? I've never known NJ to get that cold for extended periods of time

Are you in the mountains of NJ? I've never known NJ to get that cold for extended periods of time
oh okay - I always see those solar panels on people's roofs so I thought those heat the house. Silly me!

So yes - I do live in NJ and Tuesday is supposed to be single digits. Last winter we had several days in single digits and a few in minus a few degrees. The other hens don't let her up with them, but thanks for the suggestions tho!

I would put one if some one give me one for free, together with inverter and battery, You will need lots of Amp-hours to heat not well insulated coop while still allowing some ventilation, so lots of $$ in equipment. Heating naturally would be having south facing windows with a large dark color thermal mass inside. Also heat generating composting bedding on the floor.
That is a cool idea about the dark colored thermal mass on the south facing window. What do you mean exactly - sounds interesting!

I've been considering installing solar panels in my home for a long time, as they are environmentally friendly.
Also, a properly installed solar system generates electricity every time the sun's rays fall on the panel; the electricity produced by the panels replaces the energy you would otherwise consume from the grid and have to pay for it, which means you can save a lot of money. My friends recently installed panels in their house but here is the question are solar panels worth it in texas? This region is pretty solar, but how profitable would it be?

Back
Top Bottom