Sold All My Breeder Peafowl

Quote:
so it's not good records or super stock or nothing like that, just reselling some one elses stock for profit. At least last years, I know that for fact.

And $2000.00 for a Yearling pair of Charcoals so you pay $2000.00 for the male and get the hen for FREE
wink.png
since she is a yard ape anyhow right
big_smile.png

He had something for $2500.00 was that Spalding Bronze Black Shoulders? I can't remember I know it was something like that.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never got birds from him...the breeders I have bought birds from .have their names on the wing bands. They also have fair prices.

Not all birds that have high prices are from good records....I can name three top breeders , when they tell you their birds background its fact not guessing.

They also know their genetic, some breeders may sell birds they thinks are split, but just don't understand.

Saw a very honest seller on eggbid, selling bird split to a color. I email them ,and the chicks were from a split male, so chicks could be ,or not split. After i inform them ,they changed their auction.

All I am saying is breeders with years of producing color in new patterns,and keep good record. Have a reason for their prices.

Yes there always those that want to made a killing selling birds. Seen that with chickens..pigeons...and etc Lot selling others birds

Well if you check around the best Breeder to get Charcoals from is Clifton Nickles out of Indiana if I was to buy a Charcoal that's where I would go, Now, I know a so called Big time Breeder that will remove wing bands and replace them with his own, so who you going to trust??????.

I have a few years tied up in my 7/8 Spalding Pieds we have been working towards higher %, (just to clear that up for some folks) but that don't mean I will go out and sell a $200.00 bird for $800.00 just to make a quick profit, I want folks to return to buy more.

OK, here's one for you.
The Breeders name is Peafowl, I have a male from Peafowl and The Kid has a male from Peafowl both bought the males for $250.00 ea on the same day, time and ages are the same they look so much alike they could be twins, OK, here you are coming to buy my male $300.00 you go to see The Kids male he wants $500.00 for his, so are you going to buy his? for $500.00 this is probably the better male
hmm.png

I know, I like to ramble. But the bad thing is that this is how some people look at it.

pretty much! And yep, it was spaulding bronze bs for $2500. Legg isnt even asking that for his brand new Taupes.

I know what you are saying though Deerman, Sid, personally delivered all my birds last year (he was headed to Florida any way LOL)
When we went to settle up, he asked did I want all their genetics info, said sure would like it.
Well, he has a book with every wing band number in it from all his birds, and asked how far back I wanted to go.
Got records of where all of every thing he has originated from, who was bred to who to get what, etc, very thorough, and excellent guy to get to know, people like that are the ones I look for when hunting a breeder to buy from. As for peafowl breeders, I have I would trust with any info, Sid, Doug, Brad, and of course my ol buddy Steve here.
Outside of them, I got to get to know them first and see what these 4 have to say about their reputation

Quote:
Well those three know there genetics , and keep great records...Sorry Steve just have not known you that long. or got birds from you.

2500.00 for a spalding bronze blackshoulder....guess he doesn't want to sell it..
lol.png
what 31/32 green.

The good thing is I know where all my Peafowl came from, Gwen, Doug, Sid and Sam Chump for one of my Java Males and a pair Indo-Chinese, (and just guessing I would say most there original birds came from Brad).

You could just ask Doug..........

Quote:
Yes you have to know the seller...you will alway find someone who will cheat , to make a buck.

Charcoals I have a great start of them..just one colors i am working with. Have a charcoal spalding 25% split to pied. Mine didn't all come from Clifton ,but some of their grandparents did.

If my spalding split charcoal 50% produce a charcoal hen that lays....sure I wouldn't sell one cheap.

Depend on how many of that type are out their. 7/8 spalding pieds not that rare now. You show me a 7/8 Charcoal spalding pied male ,bet it would sell for over 800.00...why, you know how many years it would take to produce one.

Myself I sell very few peafowl over 200.00

I also see nothing wrong with selling birds you got from another breeder..I don't keep all mine after i get peachicks from them.

Bottom line if a person price his birds. Guy pays that price, nobody held him at gun point making him buy it. Only rip the buyer off if the bird was sick ,or he was giving wrong infor about the bird.

I have a real nice peach white eye peacock , would I take 500.00 for him ..NO.. Can you find one cheaper most likely...

I'd like to one day become a reputal breeder... I know it will take time... but feel confident. Some of my birds come from Steve. Im starting one of my breeding projects with a Charcoal Male from Legg's Peafowl...

Last edited:
Sid at Texas Peafowl called me tonight, then sent me this letter to post for him.
caf.gif

Hi Steve,
Hope all is well, I wanted to clear up a few things and thought you might be able to help.
We don't provide Rocking B-A-B Ranch with surplus birds, if anything we bought 50 from them a few months ago. We did sell them our Spalding Bronze Black Shoulder Breeder and Hens for $1000.00. Sense we were producing birds this year that should be twice the %. They did get our breeder Charcoals when bird cost were higher.... at this time we consider the Charcoal color a DEAD END....selling them for $100.00 ea. Charcoal Black Shoulders are nicer birds with much more possibilities that could produce Charcoals as well... those are $300 to $400 ea. We have lowered our Bronze Black Shoulders to $200 to $250 ea. The value in those birds is not in the color but... we took a few years off to cross the color out to unrelated birds then breed unrelated splits back. For the Bronze color this year alone took 22 breeding pens... the out come is a much nicer, cleaner bird, especially considering the characteristics of the Charcoal generations.

Also there is a difference when discussing re-selling another's birds. For the most part there is nothing different or wrong with re-selling average birds. However there is a ethic, and legal obligation to sell someone what your advertising... this is regarding reputations...for example if The Old Man has been breeding orange peafowl to green peafowl for years and has a reputation for doing so then he has a obligation to make sure that his customers get what they think they paying for.

You and I both know people who market high end birds as theirs but fill orders with re-sales... which are not the same % of Green blood...and such. You and I both seem to get a good laugh out of those who think anyone with 5 or more birds makes 100k... I doubt that 5% of known breeders even pay the feed bill, much alone as in our case are able to pay 50 to 60 hour per week labor bills.

We look forward to seeing you at the Convention, if not before hand.

Sid / Texas Peafowl
214-707-2051

I sure enjoy when Sid puts his two cents in the pot, I get a rush just listening to him
gig.gif

Steve

Sid has alot of good points.

The charcoals being a dead end ? Myself I am breeding charcoal spalding ,as most people know a charcoal spalding hen has layed eggs. Most of mine are also carring the pied gene. I am even breeding from 50% spalding split charcoals. with hopes of getting 50% charcoal spaldings.

Agree anyone needs to be adding new gene pools to the charcoals to get away from the charcoal problems..be it other patterns ,like BS. Even the greens. Any charcoal peachicks I hatch this year ,will be either 25% or 50% spaldings. For sure even if selling charcoal males as yearling at 200.00 you will be losing money. The old 50% male and 50% females doesn't work with charcoal in my case anyway.

Making money from peafowl , is not my goal. The joy of breeding them in all the colors and patterns is. Yes I resell peafowl , at my age I get birds breeding age. Use those in my breeding , then sell them after I get peachicks I want. Do I buy birds just for resell NO..

I don't list alot of my birds, because of repeat buyers.

Myself in the peafowl breeders selling birds, think you will find the spalding being sold as greens. Now thats were alot of the problems are.

Back
Top Bottom