Some people are just so uneducated.

backyardfarmer83

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
So I am not a chicken owner yet, but I'm super excited that I will someday be. My husband supports me completely, and my oldest daughter is happy that she will get to play with baby chicks when she's older. But there are a few people who just don't get it. I've stopped telling a lot of my friends about wanting to raise chickens, because the typical comment I get is "Why would you want to have a chicken as a pet? They are just dumb animals."
somad.gif
SERIOUSLY????
rant.gif
Obviously, you've never been around chickens or watched one long enough to really understand that just because they have small brains, it doesn't make them stupid animals. I've included a link to a YouTube video to prove my point (not that any of you readers need proof of what I am saying, but it's just so darn cute and funny that I had to share).

Enjoy!!

I think my chickens are smarter than me. After all they don't bring me my food and drink everyday or clean up my messes.

Quote:
LOL! True, but people still own finches, and they aren't any smarter.
duc.gif

Some of us are chicken people, and others just don't get it. My father doesn't believe in pet chickens either, he keeps asking me when they are going in the pot.......
smack.gif

dumb animals? Dumb used to mean mute or unable to talk. My chickens communicate just fine to me, the dogs and each other. And from what I understand them saying sometimes, I'm glad they don't speak English. BTW, I think it is along these lines when they say that dogs mouths are cleaner than peoples.
tongue.png

I know what you mean. When I first started with chickens everyone including my family thought I was nuts, but then the eggs came and now everyone thinks it ok. Most people think chickens are smelly filthy animals but when they come over and see that mine arent they are amazed. My sister thinks its too much work and sometimes it can be, but its work I enjoy. For instance today was spent cleaning out coops from winter. Pulling out all the bedding and scrubbing roosts and cleaning out nesting boxes, but the coop looks so nice that its worth the extra work and its only one time a year that its that labor intensive. As far as eating them that is a personal preference. I dont eat mine but if someone else does thats ok with me.

If anyone thinks chickens are too much work, they have never had Koi! And Koi don't give you eggs and they don't taste good! Well not to me but to every critter that also likes chickens, so I already know how to get rid of them.

Chickens are just like people. There are smart people, there are cunning people, there are funny people and there are stupid people.

Silkies are stupid, Polish are funny, naked necks are cunning and my Blue Wheaten Ameraucan is smarter than I am.

Back
Top Bottom