some think that gun laws are unconstitutional

Gun ownership is down. It has gradually been decreasing since 2000.

Statistics can ALSO be used for any purpose when the statistics are made up or carefully twisted.

Last edited:
Where did you get that it was decreasing? Don't know about 2000 to 2007 but 2008 was a record breaking gun sales year an 2009 was even higher than that at over 14 million guns sold in the US....

Looked it up. Lots of people do the check an dont actually buy a gun an lots of people buy more than one at a time so its not exactly how many guns were sold but gives you a good idea of how many people bought guns each year.
total-nics-background-checks

Now saying statistics are down is one thing. Looking at these statistics tells me that someone has a lot of time on their hands. One they made t harder to buy even just a rifle. Two in studies used for these statistics you have to remember that they hold he ability to leave things out as well. They only have to include Information they deem necessary for is average Jordan to look at. Not to mention these same stats are presented to pro restrictive people power. I say through founding fathers of our country wanted us to be able to bear arms in case what happened to them happens to us. That being said I think they were some wise men. History has a way of repeating itself and nothing says it won't happen again in done way shape or form.

Quote:
Actually, my point is that gun regulations DO NOT have any meaningful effect in cutting crime. Just pretend that gun ownership is completely not a part of this. Regulations are down, and crime is down. Ergo, the regulations are not what cuts crime.

Quote:
Actually, my point is that gun regulations DO NOT have any meaningful effect in cutting crime. Just pretend that gun ownership is completely not a part of this. Regulations are down, and crime is down. Ergo, the regulations are not what cuts crime.

Sorry professor. You're getting ergo and ego confused. Why do you say regulation is down? All I hear about is over regulation of everything and you are saying gun regulation is down. I contend that crime is down because of regulation. Prove it otherwise.

Quote:
And we all know that the FBI has a pro-gun bias.
roll.png

That's why the disclaimer is on the bottom of the chart. Strangely enough the FBI and a lot of police departments do have a pro gun bias. Agreed that the FBI doesn't have much use for radical groups with guns. The average law abiding Joe with a gun doesn't bother them a bit. I'm sure they would love to register each gun and follow ownership as well as have a ballistic test for each gun. It would make their job a whole lot easier.

Quote:

Sorry professor. You're getting ergo and ego confused. Why do you say regulation is down? All I hear about is over regulation of everything and you are saying gun regulation is down. I contend that crime is down because of regulation. Prove it otherwise.

Easy. There are 40 right-to-carry states, which is up, rather than down. 37 of these have "shall-issue" laws, again an upward trend. Here's a link to some more de-regulation examples:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rep/gun-ownership-up-crime-down.html

By the way, "ego" is Latin for "I" or "Me." "Ergo" is Latin for "therefore." Unless you were attempting a witty remark, in which case it went clean over my head, you're the confused one.
wink.png

Quote:
You're wrong about Thailand's gun laws.

Anyone here, other than a foreigner and minor, can get a licence from the police and buy a hand gun, shotgun or rifle. The official line is the familiar one that you are allowed to protect your home so not everyone can carry a gun legally in his car. But they do, of course.

A Thai national can walk into a gun shop, order a gun take the order document to the police and, within a day or two, collect the licence and gun. Remember also that this is a country where an offer of 'tea money' can make many obstacles disappear. If someone comes onto our land my wife could shoot them dead. If they threatened her, I could legally pick up her gun and shoot then dead. A lot of private land here isn't fenced and a lot of men who have worked in the fields all day tend to drink a bit too much and take the shortest room home on foot in the dark. You get the picture?

Contract killings are easy to arrange here because the killer just needs a gun, a motorbike with no licence plate and a helmet with a visor. There are no requirements for secure gun storage and so there are many stolen guns around. You don't get involved in road rage because the idiot who cut you up may be carrying a gun.

One problem with civilian gun ownership, especially hand guns, is that the result of using it is often quick and final. Someone gets angry, out comes a gun and that's it before he can think properly about what he's doing. Fists, knives and rocks usually don't kill at the first blow. The victim has some chance to defend himself and Mr. Angry might just calm down. I'm not anti-gun and I accept that there is a case for some people to own one. However, lax gun laws inevitably lead to weapons getting into the wrong hands.

To the pro's I say that you have to accept that their are different points of view on this subject and not everyone agrees with lax gun laws. In other words, there is an important debate going on that's reflected in this thread. I think that you would help your cause if you considered more carefully the points of view of other people. We have a saying in England; the reed that won't bend will eventually snap in the wind. In other words, give way a little and you will have your guns. Keep resisting rational objections to lax laws and one day you will lose your guns.

Back
Top Bottom