some think that gun laws are unconstitutional

Quote:
They told us that in 1776

How'd that work out for you?

It was before my time so I don't know. Please quote your source so that I can learn more about what it. In any case, I'm not a supporter of colonialism so I may see it from your point of view. However, I understand that the King was glad to get rid of the financial burden of that colony.
wink.png
I would guess that the determination to achieve independence on one side outweighed the willingness on the other to continue to kill their own countrymen. There is an American made documentary, a very interesting one, that offers some evidence of that from records made at the time.

My comment that hand guns and rifles alone don't win wars was in response to a suggestion that a few guys with nothing more than that could defeat an invading army. I was pointing out that it was unlikely and, therefore, no justification for an armed militia.

May I ask you a question, please? If someone said to you that he thought it was too easy to buy guns and laws should be introduced to reduce the chances of them being bought or stolen by criminals, the mentally ill and generally incompetent people, what would be your considered and reasoned response?

Quote:
Then I feel very sorry for you. How much more lax could they be short of dispensing with the need for a licence? Geez.

I'm still looking forward to you posting the link to those figures you showed us regarding the rates of violent deaths on various countries. It's looks interesting.

Most of the US you can walk in to a gun store an walk out with anything up to a 50 Cal in minutes. There is a background check for felonys but it takes seconds an not required for everyone everywhere. An there is no record kept of who bought what. An in my state I can carry mine openly almost everywhere in the state. I do have a permit so I can hide mine when I want but its optional.

I posted the most up to date data I found( http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_ove_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop ) but if ya need more google is your friend.

Just plain crazy. The lobbyists for reform have a long road ahead of them.
sad.png

It's a pity about the stats. There's nothing specifically for illegal gun deaths and no help to adjust raw data to allow for local political violence, cultural issues and so on. I have to return to the premise that the easier it is to buy a gun the more people will be killed illegally with one.

Last edited:
I would tell them England needs more pesents.

Lobbyists are getting nowhere. Gun laws keep getting overturned by the supreme court for being unconstitutional an trying to rewrite the second amendment would cause another civil war.

Quote:
Could you return to discussing this sensibly please without resorting to childish remarks about other countries? As you know, an entire thread was removed recently because of unwarranted and spiteful remarks about foreign armed forced. Perhaps some people would like to see the same happen here. It would be a pity because there are many interesting posts in both side of this discussion. That's all it is, a discussion, an exchange of views. No-one has to win.

A friend of mine is a gun dealer in the US and I know that he has been worried about possible changes to the law. Perhaps he thinks that the control lobbyists are getting somewhere.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
So I give you a link to very extensive data an because it does not say what you want your going to say its not enough an go back to your wild guess. Thats probably the most extensive crime data you are going to find. So which side is not willing to see facts from the other side.

Quote:
Its not childish. That is a normal comment when changing constitution is talked about. If you dont like what our country is founded on then find a country that you do like. You better believe if it gets changed my screen name will be changed to "Vaquero Rebelde."

Quote:
lol, burn
this thread is to funny, and interesting, I hope no one locks it. So far, I find it a very informative thread, despite the drastic opposing views. good debate guys.

Quote:
Actually, the site I confirmed what I knew about texas gun laws actually said

"It is unlawful to intentionally, knowingly or recklessly carry on or about one’s person a handgun in a motor vehicle if the handgun is in plain view or the person is engaged in criminal activity (other than a misdemeanor traffic violation), prohibited by law from possessing a firearm or is a member of a street gang. "

just had a moment when they mentioned a gang members, so specific but general at the same time.

Quote:
So I give you a link to very extensive data an because it does not say what you want your going to say its not enough an go back to your wild guess. Thats probably the most extensive crime data you are going to find. So which side is not willing to see facts from the other side.
"

There's not enough detail about gun deaths and the causes.

Please leave out the snide, gratuitous remarks about the UK. It is offensive and does nothing to enhance your credibility.

I thought I would drop back in see how the debate is going..

thaiturkey, Not sure how long you have been gone from the states, but the "old" arguments are old.. It is a new platform of debate.. Your arguments remind me of why I voted Republican once or twice because of this single issue..
sickbyc.gif

If one wants to win elections it is best to not be a hard line anti gun type.. You lose votes and the majority fast...

I have not read all the pages but as I am sure you are aware, one can not compare the government of Thailand to that of the USA. What works there with a pretty extreme hard line government does not necessarily work here. Neither does what the UK did have much merritt here.. The Australian story in my opinion is the only one that can be used as a "what if" for the USA.

ON

Quote:
Your response was sarcastic. My question was nothing to do with countries. I asked what you would reply to a question about gun control.

I am aware that there are disparate opinions in the US and that was the reason for the OP. There are different opinions in most countries, I would guess. Your claim that something is part of a nation's culture takes this nowhere. 'Cultures' change.

Anyway, if you are dropping out of this thread we can perhaps get back to a reasonable discussion. I hope that the other posters return. It would be a pity to let the wreckers succeed in getting it closed or removed.

Back
Top Bottom