some think that gun laws are unconstitutional

As to the Texas laws... my Uncle (not Dan) told me that he had one with him in his truck... some of the areas he goes into aren't all that safe, particularly if you're in a nice new truck... he supposedly talked to an officer before doing so and according to him, or Uncle's translation anyways as long as you're in control of the vehicle AND the weapon then you're okay (assuming you obtained it legally of course)... now if you lose control of the vehicle... IE icy road and crash... if they notice the weapon when they come to the scene then they could ticket you... because you lost control of the weapon when you lost control of the vehicle?

Which rather confused me to say the least... but there you have it. Again, I don't have a gun, projectile of any kind actually... the mass amount of confusion over the laws is one more reason...

Quote:
I'm English, not American. I have been expressing my personal views about gun control. Posters have focused, inevitably on a mainly American forum I guess, on the continuing debate in the US. I have been contributing my honest opinions and have no axe to grind for or against the US.

I don't think that I've expressed an extreme view or suggested that all guns be banned. However, I think that loose gun laws are as much a threat to law abiding citizens as they are a protection. I had hoped that views from other countries might be welcome.

Quote:
Shotguns in the UK have to locked into a rack in the back of a vehicle whilst in transit. You have to move very far from any road before you fire it and be careful which way you point the thing. As in the case you cite, it's seems very easy to get it wrong. And it's easy to lose your licence.

Quote:
Your response was sarcastic. My question was nothing to do with countries. I asked what you would reply to a question about gun control.

I am aware that there are disparate opinions in the US and that was the reason for the OP. There are different opinions in most countries, I would guess. Your claim that something is part of a nation's culture takes this nowhere. 'Cultures' change.

Anyway, if you are dropping out of this thread we can perhaps get back to a reasonable discussion. I hope that the other posters return. It would be a pity to let the wreckers succeed in getting it closed or removed.

Cultures changing is not necessarily a good thing. I happen to think if all kids went out hunting with a responsible adult and shot squirrel or something with a real gun and see what actually happens.. They would have a heck of a lot more respect for fire arms! Instead our "new" urban culture watches extremely violent TV shows and plays extremely violent video games and never touches a real fire arm...
The answer less Hollywood glamorization of violence, and teach kids what the grave reality of what happens when a fire arm is used.

Thank goodness voting districts are set up in a way to give rural states and rural communities a voice with their vote.. Otherwise we would all be stuck with the current "trend" in places like New York City...
th.gif

rebelcowboysnb, I hope you do not drop out of this debate.. I feel what you say does represent a large segment of middle America.

ON

Quote:
Sorry Thaiturkey.... I thought you were an American ex pat.
My apologies.

We have that same law in general here. Fire arms in a case in the vehicle, and 50 feet from the road before loading. Or something like that..
ON

Quote:
My apologies.

We have that same law in general here. Fire arms in a case in the vehicle, and 50 feet from the road before loading. Or something like that..
ON

No problem. I didn't take it as an insult.
wink.png
I have Americans and Canadians in the family whose parents emigrated many years ago, if that helps anyone.
big_smile.png

Yes, sounds similar.

I've used a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting in the past and, if I say so myself, I was good at it. But, as with ten pin bowling, it became boring after a while. I'd shoot for meat but not merely for sport.

If I'd bought a shotgun it would have been so securely locked up and away from the ammunition as required by law that it would have been no use at home against intruders. hence my doubts about the wisdom of having a gun lying around for that purpose where anyone else can get to it. Before handguns were banned in the UK, two boys found their father's handgun in a bedroom drawer. Yes, one played with it and the other died as a result.

Another issue for me is the people who recommend using a gun to frighten an annoying neighbour. The idea of someone like that being armed is very troubling.

There is the argument that kids raised around guns KNOW the safety measures involved... just like kids raised around a chef know not to touch the big ol (we called it The Papa) knife...

Not saying yeah or no to that, just pointing out that some are of the school that goes with that... safety comes from exposure/education...

I find it really.... odd that my SIL snapped off the blade of her son's Keyblade... Nana (my MIL, SIL's mom) bought one for her son and mine... the 'key' pulls off and there's a blade... rather like those canes that are really swords? Anyways she snapped off the blade because it wasn't safe (even totally unsharpened)... yet she's got no problem with him hunting Bambi or playing football (at 12 already has one concussion under his belt)... so... yeah... I can't wrap my head around that, much less stats of this or that state and party and yada... and I've known her for 14 years...

Somebody asked when since 1918 a war had only been won with handguns and rifles.

Well, let's see. Vietnam, remember that one? The Viet Cong didn't exactly have access to air strikes, tanks, and artillery.
roll.png
Currently, the US military, the single most powerful one in the world, is getting its butt whipped by Afghans with rifles.
hmm.png
Longest running war in US history, and still no progress. We've sent flying robots, planes, choppers, infantry, what-have-you, and the Afghans are still, if not winning, at least making the war unwinnable for us.
hmm.png

So, yeah, I'd say a militia can do some damage.

Last edited:
Quote:
My apologies.

ON

No problem. I didn't take it as an insult.
wink.png
I have Americans and Canadians in the family whose parents emigrated many years ago, if that helps anyone.
big_smile.png

Yes, sounds similar.

I've used a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting in the past and, if I say so myself, I was good at it. But, as with ten pin bowling, it became boring after a while. I'd shoot for meat but not merely for sport.

If I'd bought a shotgun it would have been so securely locked up and away from the ammunition as required by law that it would have been no use at home against intruders. hence my doubts about the wisdom of having a gun lying around for that purpose where anyone else can get to it. Before handguns were banned in the UK, two boys found their father's handgun in a bedroom drawer. Yes, one played with it and the other died as a result.

Another issue for me is the people who recommend using a gun to frighten an annoying neighbour. The idea of someone like that being armed is very troubling.

I don't know about you, but around here, we keep the gun and ammo separate, with the ammo hidden but it's easy to access both quickly. Somebody breaks into our home, they'll be greeted by a rifle from one end and a 12-gauge from the other.

Back
Top Bottom