Some VERY large eggs with weird shell markings

JeffandLori

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
S. Florida
I have seven ISLA browns between 1 and 2 years old laying like good little hens.

eta: Three were hatched in spring of 2020 and four this past spring. No idea which hen laid these.

All is good, then I noticed a large egg one morning. Basically jumbo when normally they are large.

Then I got a massive, turkey sized egg with some weird markings on the end. Two days in a row.

Then everything went back to normal.

No changes in feed, treats, environment, etc,

Large

EA3F949A-37CD-472C-B902-71937809840F.jpeg

This had to hurt. It doesn’t come close to sitting in the bottom of the egg crate. I got two with that weird texture on the end then back to normal.
1B9B25C5-DA12-4DA7-A40C-BBD9D26BA623.jpeg

F2DE82F5-31EE-4086-A9BF-E6056931CA0B.jpeg

Any thoughts? It’s been a week or more and things are normal now. I haven’t cracked those eggs to try to eat them yet.

I asked a similar question a few months back. And the egg I found actually makes the big ones in your photo look normal LOL. It was also the second of two giant eggs within about a week. I've attached photos here of the enormous egg. I was equally concerned about how painful it must've been. Everyone assured me I was putting human limitations on a chicken for something that falls within the range of "normal"....meaning, this just happens from time to time. Unless theres blood on the shell to indicate a problem with the hen, there's really no need to worry.

20211110_101349.jpg
20211110_103557.jpg

I asked a similar question a few months back. And the egg I found actually makes the big ones in your photo look a little small LOL. It was also the second of two giant eggs within about a week. I've attached photos here of the enormous egg. I was equally concerned about how painful it must've been. Everyone assured me I was putting human limitations on a chicken for something that falls within the range of "normal"....meaning, this just happens from time to time. Unless theres blood on the shell to indicate a problem with the hen, there's really no need to worry.
Photos?

I’m banking on double yolkers but likely won’t be given my luck. Seems the few we’ve gotten were all in batches we’ve given away to friends. Lol

I‘ll check to make sure they don’t float, then weigh for curiosity and then into the skillet they‘lll go.

Back
Top Bottom