Someone, please, someone say it...

wrldlygrrl

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Decatur, GA
I need a pat on the back and a "job well done", please!
I finally got my chicken tractor usable...although now I see:
1. How much easier it could've been
2. How much easier it could've been
3. How much cheaper it could've been!

I will post photos when it has another set of wheels on it!

Then, of course, there is the question:

I have wire 100% covering the tractor, as I was so afraid of digging predators.
How likely is it that a predator would dig in the daytime?
I ask this because the chickens cannot adequately scratch up the dirt to get worms,
which is one main reason to have them outside, right?
It's heavy enough that something cannot just lift it up. Including me!
*scratching head*

I'm giving you a pat on the back and you should be proud of yourself for a job well done.
thumbsup.gif

Can't wait to see pics.

Quote:
Anytime someone has challenged him or herself, should be commended. Each time is a learning experience.

My birds scratch but not really for worms. Worms are not so abundantly hidden just below the surface. They do like the grass and scratch in the dirt to see what else turns up... most of the time, not much. However, when they scratch in the fallen leaves or compost piles, it is snack time.

Wow, that does look like a lot of work. It looks like a nice big playground for your flock.

I've seen a lot of people recommend a wire "apron" or "skirt" on the ground outside of the tractor instead of using a wire floor inside. The idea is that digging predators try to dig near the walls of your tractor, but they get discouraged if the ground is covered in wire. They don't think to start digging farther away. This leaves the inside of your tractor open for the chickens to enjoy scratching and digging lovely dust-bathing holes all over your yard.
wink.png

I imagine someone's going to suggest using welded wire (hardware cloth) for your tractor instead of chicken wire, too. That seems to be the standard recommendation since it is stronger and more predator-proof. Not everyone (including me
hide.gif
) completely follows that advice, though. Everyone has to consider the risks, cost, tradeoffs, etc. for their own situation.

Back
Top Bottom