Something fishy?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sethsleader, Apr 28, 2009.

1. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    As my husbands a keen angler, I get alot of fresh fish. I have a bit of Ling loin left its raw would my peeps like it or would it harm them? My friend says that you shouldn't feed chickens meat but you guys are alot more in the know!! Please help [​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I believe it is totally ok to feed them fish, however there is a slight chance it could change the taste of the eggs.

3. charlielynnsingletary

charlielynnsingletary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    pearl river,la
    oh my chicken, my husband and i was talking about this at 4 this morning. he and his uncles, cousins, and any other redneck that comes around here run catfish nets. so he was talking about taking the catfish bones letting them dry out and grinding them up with their feed. i didn't think about feeding them the meat. but i have learned over the past few days that chickens are buzzards and will eat anything.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Chickens are omnivores. They eat anything.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Don't feel bad about feeding them meat! They need it to survive (in some form). Chickens will eat each other if you let them... cannibals!! [​IMG]

6. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    i feed them worms that the boys dig up, I know I shouldn't worry but my girls are everything to me (aswell as the kids and hubby) and I'd hate it if I did something wrong:( Ive had the girls for 5 weeks they weren't expensive. Just something to learn on!! Little did I know that they would get me completly obcessed!![​IMG]

7. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Forgot to say thaks for the help! Sorry, how rude of me and us English are supposed to be renouned for our good manners [​IMG]

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Fish is perfectly okay!!!!

We feed a mainly raw diet to our dogs, and you'd better believe we have some begging little chickens when we feed them fish we've caught. Haven't noticed a change in the taste of eggs either.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My friend says that you shouldn't feed chickens meat

Your friend is an idiot.​

10. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    I think she might be, I thought it was a bit odd as in the wild they eat all sorts of bugs and I never heard of a chicken lighting itself a fire to cook them on first!! [​IMG] Thanks for all the help, they devoured the fish in seconds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by