Something got my polish!!

birdo101

Chirping
Mar 3, 2016
I let the girls out to roam all day and at 8 I saw the leader of the pack, Macho Man Randy Savage (yes my husband named her) and they were all doing fine. By 5 I noticed she was missing, she's never been flighty, but I saw a chunk of her big feathers with a cluster of small ones. I'm guessing something snatched her in the middle of the day? I live in southern utah so I didnt think we'd have predators during the day. So my question is what could have gotten her? Also my other two chickens are beside themselves! They've been only staying in one corner of the back yard and act all skiddish now. I know Macho man was their leader, is that going to make a difference? Should I get another chicken? I dont know what to do?

Could a Fox or coyote be in the area? Usually when a chicken is gone with just feathers spread out its one of those. Arial predators like hawks usually don't carry off large birds and if they do there typically rising much of a sign, like feathers.

Could also be a dog, but usually they kill all the chickens.

Edit:
You could get another chicken, maybe a bigger one for new leadership, if you can have a rooster I would recommend one. They will protect the flock, I let my standards and Bantams free range most of the day, and my cats (that would kill a Bantam if they had the chance) stay far away from my rooster who will chase them if they get close to any of his hens (and even other Bantam roosters).
I would calm down the chickens and give them an activity to do, like treats or something, and search the area. If they were huddled on one side of the yard, I would check out the other side of the yard for a body of a way the animal could have gotten in.

Last edited:
I agree, fox or coyote.

Most likley one of your other hens will step up and become leader. If it is possible you should look into getting a rooster though.

If I were you I'd keep my hens locked up for a few days. Whatever got your hen knows there is food there now so it will probably come back. You could get some trail cameras and live traps and try and catch and relocate whatever got your hen. Good luck.

^ forgot to mention, YES!! Lock your birds up and put out a trap. I lost almost a whole flock to a baby opossum in one night, the very next night he came back and I caught him.

Havahart traps are only like 30$-50 at tractor supply,for a decent sized one. and they last forever.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom