She's still acting backed up, but she does poop more than she did. We're having a hard time getting the coconut oil in, and I hate to put her through more than she's already dealing with. Any suggestions??

P.S: we noticed today that she's not as long as the other chicks, even though they are all the same age. Should I be worried about this?? Thanks

You could mix her feed with coconut oil.
If you are noticing a big difference between her and the other chicks she may have hatched out with internal problems...something you can not "fix."

Did these chicks come from your own flocks eggs?

You could mix her feed with coconut oil.
If you are noticing a big difference between her and the other chicks she may have hatched out with internal problems...something you can not "fix."

Did these chicks come from your own flocks eggs?
No, we got them from a local feed store. It's the same store we have bought all of our chickens from, and they've always been beautiful and healthy. Never had anything like this before.

It may just be a failure to thrive chick.
They sometimes just happen.

How will I know she has failure to thrive?? Are there symptoms for it?

Isn't there anything I can do for her
You can continue to try to help her the same way you are doing now.
There is no for sure sign/symptom for failure to thrive...they just fail to grow/keep up with their flock mates.

It's critical to get the oil into this chick somehow. It can die from constipation, besides being a painful condition. If you grasp the chick from behind the head and force the beak open with your thumb and first finger, you can then slip tiny bits of the oil onto the tongue. It will automatically swallow. Take your time, and don't be in a hurry. Just be sure to get a half teaspoon down the throat.

For a nutrient boost and to get a FTT chick jump started, Poultry Nutri-drench is really the best thing to use as it's formulated to be absorbed directly into the blood stream, by-passing an immature liver. It can make all the difference in whether or not a chick survives being failure-to-thrive.

It's critical to get the oil into this chick somehow. It can die from constipation, besides being a painful condition. If you grasp the chick from behind the head and force the beak open with your thumb and first finger, you can then slip tiny bits of the oil onto the tongue. It will automatically swallow. Take your time, and don't be in a hurry. Just be sure to get a half teaspoon down the throat.

For a nutrient boost and to get a FTT chick jump started, Poultry Nutri-drench is really the best thing to use as it's formulated to be absorbed directly into the blood stream, by-passing an immature liver. It can make all the difference in whether or not a chick survives being failure-to-thrive.
Thank you, we are going to try to get the oil in as good as we can. About how soon should we see results? I'll post an update at that time.

Back
Top Bottom