Sorry But I've Seen Something And It Really Bothers Me

OK, I read the side,"MICROBAN antimicrobial product protection" is the promotion material that "resists bacteria, mold, mildew, etc."
Iti s made by Petmate.

Last edited:
I was told by a nurse friend not to use any of that antibacterial stuff like countertops in your kitchen. It's like constantly being on antibiotics. Don't know.
idunno.gif

OK, just got off the phone with Microban in North Carolina. It is a resin type material (there are several that they use and we discussed the one in PetMate products) that interacts with the bacteria cells that handles the algae, mold, etc that is common to dog and cat applications (and I think us BYCers as well). The amount of the active ingredient is so minimal that it does not affect the water itself. I asked about the raw ACV we use and liquid vitamins that we use use. There would be no interaction with the liquid vitamins at all. Any reactions affecting enzymes and such in the raw ACV would likely be so miniscule, if it occurs, that it may not be able to ever be measured. There is no transference of the material in the microban resin to anything it makes contact with. It only slows/stops the growth of certain types of bacteria. He did say that they cannot make any claim regarding poultry use as that enters into an entirely different regulatory field. I said no problem as my/our interest is in how this works and interacts with substances. Then we can make our own decisions based on that.

I did ask about the counter top claim as mentioned earlier. He said not true as there is no migration of any aspect of their material into another substance. Certainly could not be compared to being on antibiotics continuously although he said that type of thing has been said. But just not accurate.

Hope this helps any interested in it. Link to their products....look for them locally....

http://www.petmate.com/Products/LeBistro-Feeder-and-Waterer__24302.aspx

Last edited:
I have to agree with the nurse about the anti-microbial products and here's why--

We all (humans and animals) have a "natural flora" of bacteria that live on and around us. Every surface around us has bacteria, unless it has just been highly disinfected. Sounds wierd, maybe gross, but that's just the way it is. If you have the natural flora that is what you "should have" it will keep you healthy by crowding out nasty bacteria that can make you really sick. That is one reason you get fungal and digestive problems from being on antibiotics. The "good guys" are not there to protect you. When we kill off the "good guys" with anti-microbial products, washes, etc...the bad germs have an open slate to multiply, and the ones that survive could be really nasty for us or for our animals. I think it is much better to maintain a common-sense level of cleanliness, and not try to achieve some pure, super-clean state that does nothing for our animals, and may potentially harm them. Dirt has been given a bad name (along with bacteria!).

I was my understanding that their resin products are specific to the goals that they intend to address. They are not a broadband product. For example, what is used in PetMate is not the same resin used in other end products. Different products for different applications. But I do agree with you about the anti-bacterial soaps and they create a really unhealthy balance as they do not discriminate what they kill. As antibiotics are largely non-discriminatory as well.

Last edited:
[email protected] :

I was told by a nurse friend not to use any of that antibacterial stuff like countertops in your kitchen. It's like constantly being on antibiotics. Don't know.
idunno.gif

I wonder if your friend was referring to using antibacterial cleaners in the kitchen and around the house. My doctor told me that doing this may allow resistant strains of common bacteria to eventually dominate and become common. Sort of like growing superbugs in your house. My church also distributed pamphlets put out by our largest local medical provider that said the same thing. When you look at drug-resistant tuberculosis, you get scared.​

Quote:
I'd like to see that pic!

Me, too! I'm using plastic now, but I know what you mean. They're a step up from galvanized, IMO, but stainless steel would be preferable.

Back
Top Bottom