Sorry But I've Seen Something And It Really Bothers Me

I have always kept a strict schedule with my waterers, once a week they are soaked in a mild bleach and water solution, they are changed every day once in the morning and once at night. I use the gallon size waterers and because I have well water it leaves an orange film in them if I don't do it once a week. If they are caked with poo I scrub them immediately. I have a pair of call ducks too who live with the chickens and boy oh boy do they make a mess of the waterers. I think I have 5 total out there plus a dog bowl of water inside a tub for the ducks but they prefer to use the chicken waterers instead and use theirs to sit in
lau.gif

I went with an antimicrobial dog waterer from the feed store after getting tired of cleaning algae and crude no matter what I did or how often I did it. Zero and I mean, zero problems with algae, crude and every other non-water substance.

I have found that if you withold water for a couple days, your chickens will drink whatever you give them, and there will be no more complaining about dirty water. (this method also works with kids)
wink.png

It's the type of material used, some aspect of the polymer that is the dish. Of course, I just put water, water with ACV, water with vitamins or whatever I want in the 'cooler type' jug. I use 1 gallon for 12 birds. When the bowl portion gets dirty, I pick the whole thing up, turn it over - emptying the contents of the bowl. The jug refills the bowl when I place it back on it's stand.

My dogs drinks out of mud puddles, my horses walk past a clean waterer to drink out of standing muddy water and my chicken make the water dirty in about three min. They are all alive and well and the chickens and dogs all eat horse poop:D

Back
Top Bottom