sour dough starter and bread flour

AhBee01

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
yo. ohio
I wanted to try this, I have all purpose flour, would that be ok to use>
I don't know if I can find bread flour before the winter storm comes in! I wanted to start this tonight, but just read to use bread flour!
Can I start it with what I have and then switch to bread flour when feeding?
Thanks
Brenda

iT WILL be fine. Just remember no metal to touch the starter - utensils or bowls ....that's the biggie. Love my starter. Hubbie started it from the air 3 years ago and its so sturdy! Blessings to you.

I use bread flour and raw sugar. I captured my yeast wild from the air back in the super heated days of August. I keep my starter in a glass cylinder and stir with a silicon utensil. Your flour should work fine.

Do you think yeast is in the air at this time a year? I could put the jar on my mantle in the living room it is about 80 in there cuz of the fireplace!!!
I'm in ohio, and it is 23 and were in the middle of the ice/snow storm!
Brenda

I have no clue. I think Sara tried to capture one in the winter and her attempt didn't work.

You can still do it and just kick start yourself with a package of yeast.

Not sure how to catch yeast, but yeast is pretty interesting. Yeast has been domesticated for so many years, scientists are still having trouble finding "non domesticated" yeasts in the environment. Domesticated yeast genes are all over even "wild" stuff found in the sap of trees in rainforest's! Humans reach far far places.

I'd say getting yeast in sumer and fall would be better than winter. By now most would probably be in hibernation so to say till weather is better for their reproduction.

I have no clue. I think Sara tried to capture one in the winter and her attempt didn't work.

You can still do it and just kick start yourself with a package of yeast.

But Miss Priss I want it to be like yours!!! I don't want to cheat!!!!

I also have a question, will a recipe call for sour dough starter? How do you adapt a recipe to include your starter?
Thanks
Brenda
I will attempt to capture and if I don't get any I will cheat till summer!!!!​

Back
Top Bottom