Sour/Impacted crop. Getting confused on treatment!

Yes, let me know what kind of mom she ends up to be. I am very interested in this because I have 6 white leghorns and 7 brown leghorns and it will be good to know in case any of mine go broody on what to expect. I wish you luck on trying to catch her because they sure are fast little things, aren't they!
My little girl is totally back to normal!!! Roosting high again, running around like a little banchi!
wink.png
I can tell her apart from the others because of her comb. The 2 little bumps on the front go one way and the rest go the other way. She is also the only leghorn that follows me round. It is like I have my own little pack when I am outside. The 2 orps, 1 adalusian, the leghorn and one of the naked necks are always following me to see what I am doing. Even if I through treats down, they still follow me! LOL
I give mine yogurt or cottage cheese a few times a week and I mix vitamins in there. The polyvisol has a terrible odor and I didn't know if they wouldn't drink the water if I put them in there but they don't even notice it in the yogurt or cottage cheese.

Oh yea those vitamins stink for sure. I use the powdered kind I got at my livestock supply. I think they are made by Durvet or something like that but they are yellow and mix well with the water. They drink it very well as well.

I sure hope I can catch Jill when it is time. She is funny though, all puffed up and makes herself look bigger than she actually is. I will try to snag a picture of her but she is so fast and she is definitley not as pretty as you beauty. She is a true broody.

I will let you know what kind of Momma she makes, I am surely interested in finding out. Just wish I knew when those babies were gonna come. lol

don't like the wait game. you know. lol

Yes! I would love to see a pic of her!!! I hope you can get one of her but I know how hard it can be to get a decent pic of the leghorns! I have been trying to get a good pic of my brown ones today because their tail feathers are funky looking and I was thinking I could possibly have a roo. It took me all day to get some at least a little bit good to se their tail feathers!!!
I know you would like to know when they will come but think of the surprise you will get to go find them on a day you weren't expecting it!!
wink.png

My new silkies crop felt a bit squishy tonight. I will have to keep an eye on her. I am hoping it will be down tomorrow morning!!!

Of course Jill is no where to be found this morning. Big surprise, but I have class this morning and once I get home I will try again. I seem to have issues with taking pictures of any of my chickens. They won't hold still. lol. But I have a few at least.

I hope that the silkie crop is ok, but if it isn't you know how to treat it. Right! Yeah for the Braggs ACV. love that stuff:))

Last edited:
... you said you would try the ACV first. Please make sure that you get BRAGGS Unfiltered ACV with the 'mother in it". This is organic ACV and it is amazingly good stuff. I don't know where you live but I found mine at Food Lion of all places.

Once you have the opportunity to feel the crop, if it is squishy and soft then this is sour crop. I just had 4 of my 1 1/2 month old BO have this and I treated with the ACV to start. I took all food away. Treats and all. Just gave the ACV in a gallon waterer. (plastic because it corrodes metal). Then the next day I introduced yogurt and still the ACV/water to drink. 3rd day I introduced scrambled eggs, and still yogurt and ACV/water. I did try to massage the crop. I would have to say to do a downward massage instead of upwards.

Thank you so much! I didn't realize it should be a special type. What is the "mother" in it? Just curious? I have several different types of stores to check for this so hopefully one of them will have it!
I had loaned my son the dog crate so I am picking that up on the way home tonight, cleaning it out well and she is coming in the house. I will let you know if her crop hard or soft after I get everything set up for her. I also will be calling my vet to see if he works with chickens, just in case I need him.
Thanks again and I sure hope I can find the correct ACV.

BTW...I am also a Lisa!
wink.png

You know i am not at all sure of what the 'mother in it' is. I am guessing that because of being organic and unfiltered. But you can see stuff floating in it. I found mine in the organic aisle. but I assume that you are in a bigger area than I am and I usually have to travel to get stuff we need. lol...

I hope it is just sour crop and beleive me I don't want anyones chickens to get sick but I had such success with the treatment and Speckledhen helped me. And I will be forever greatful because I waited 2 years to get my BO chicks and would be heart broken to lose one. (well any of my chickens to be exact)

Well to a fellow Lisa it is nice to meet ya:) Please let me know if you need anything else! Glad to help you out!

Lisa​

The "mother" is a milky glob of bacteria (good ones) and cellulose (from the decaying apple skins) that turns cider into vinegar. Unless you are wanting to make more vindgar (by adding it to fresh cider), there is no real need for the mother. The only think I have against Braggs is its price. However, it is not the only effective apple cider vinegar. ANY apple cider vinegar will work equally well. What you need to check is that it is indeed made from apples, not just flavoured. In my experience the vinegar sold at large chains such as Target or Walmart tend to be FLAVOURED, not real, whereas those sold at grociery stores tend to be the real thing. Read labels.

Massage downwards to move food through the crop. Massage upwards to force the food out through the mouth--in my opinion a treatment likely to aspirate the bird.​

Quote:
You know i am not at all sure of what the 'mother in it' is. I am guessing that because of being organic and unfiltered. But you can see stuff floating in it. I found mine in the organic aisle. but I assume that you are in a bigger area than I am and I usually have to travel to get stuff we need. lol...

I hope it is just sour crop and beleive me I don't want anyones chickens to get sick but I had such success with the treatment and Speckledhen helped me. And I will be forever greatful because I waited 2 years to get my BO chicks and would be heart broken to lose one. (well any of my chickens to be exact)

Well to a fellow Lisa it is nice to meet ya:) Please let me know if you need anything else! Glad to help you out!

Lisa

The "mother" is a milky glob of bacteria (good ones) and cellulose (from the decaying apple skins) that turns cider into vinegar. Unless you are wanting to make more vindgar (by adding it to fresh cider), there is no real need for the mother. The only think I have against Braggs is its price. However, it is not the only effective apple cider vinegar. ANY apple cider vinegar will work equally well. What you need to check is that it is indeed made from apples, not just flavoured. In my experience the vinegar sold at large chains such as Target or Walmart tend to be FLAVOURED, not real, whereas those sold at grociery stores tend to be the real thing. Read labels.

Massage downwards to move food through the crop. Massage upwards to force the food out through the mouth--in my opinion a treatment likely to aspirate the bird.

thanks Sonoran Silkies _ I should have read the label but never have. thanks again.

I almost always read labels--definitely do when there is something I want present, or to avoid. Take a look at sour cream labels--first look at the store brand and major brands, then look at Knudson's or Daisy.

Thanks Sonoran Silkies! That is good to know! I did massage downward on my little girl because like you, I thought it would be better to move whatever was in there down and not back out. I also had seen where it was recommended to hold the chicken upside down but I was afraid to do that as well because of aspiration. The ACV really did work though. I was impressed!

Lisa....
How is the picture taking going?
wink.png
My silkies crop was better this morning and she is full of energy and laying better now. I got 2 eggs in two days. this was after a week of no eggs! I think it was from the stress of the new place, crazy roos and her sister going broody.
i forgot to tell you, I candled and from what I can tell since these are my first fertile eggs, everything looks good!!! I could see the veins the other day and tonight I could see the air sac and something definitely forming. I think I do have to find a better light though. Do you think Jill has been sitting on them longer than a week? Mine should be due on or about September 10th.

Thanks Sonoran Silkies! That is good to know! I did massage downward on my little girl because like you, I thought it would be better to move whatever was in there down and not back out. I also had seen where it was recommended to hold the chicken upside down but I was afraid to do that as well because of aspiration. The ACV really did work though. I was impressed!

Lisa....
How is the picture taking going?
wink.png
My silkies crop was better this morning and she is full of energy and laying better now. I got 2 eggs in two days. this was after a week of no eggs! I think it was from the stress of the new place, crazy roos and her sister going broody.
i forgot to tell you, I candled and from what I can tell since these are my first fertile eggs, everything looks good!!! I could see the veins the other day and tonight I could see the air sac and something definitely forming. I think I do have to find a better light though. Do you think Jill has been sitting on them longer than a week? Mine should be due on or about September 10th.

Lisa - I just wanted you to know that my Leghorn Jill has hatched out 4 babies. I think a couple are couple days old. I just about freaked out when I saw these little yellow things with tiny legs running around. We got Jill out, but my husband had to use the tractor and pick up the side of the coop and we had to run around like crazy to catch the babies and then to get Jill was a whole nother story. She was not happy. She still had 5 or 6 eggs left she was sitting on. I took the eggs and put her inside a cage in another coop. I put the babies in with her but she kinda freaked out. I should have waited until dark to do this so I brought the babies inside and put them with my little tiny 1 week old RIR I got last Friday. I took some pictures for you. lol. Jill is still sitting on those eggs. My son and I just candled the remaining ones and only 1 wasn't good. There is pipping or peeping inside of one of the other eggs now. Oh my! I am going to keep the 1st 4 inside for now and then bring the others inside until she has hatched out all the rest of the other eggs. I do think she is going to be a wonderful Momma. I am so excited because I have never ever had a broody hen give me more than 3 chicks before. I have only been giving them 1 or 2 because I didn't want to have so so many. She will probabaly hatch out a total of 9 or 10. (not sure of how many she has remaining now)

37732_47.jpeg

37732_2010-09-02_18-38-36_282.jpg

The little one to the left is kinda reddish is my Lindy that I rescued last week. She is a week old and 3 of the 4 new chicks are larger than she is. It is so funny. I didn't get all the pictures on here.

I guess we should start a new thread since this isn't an emergency. Right!

Let me know

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom