Sour/Impacted crop. Getting confused on treatment!

Quote:
Lisa
I just got this message. I didn't get a email telling me that someone had posted on this thread. I am sorry for not posting sooner. If you haven't already received or looked at this thread then you will see that Jill hatched out 4 babies and has 4 or 5 more eggs under her. She was sitting on about 10 eggs. so out of the 20 eggs she had sat on at one point or another ( I took 11 from her when I found her under the coop and thought I left her 6) well apparantly she had 9 or 10 left. Only 3 of those eggs were not viable. She may very well have hatched 17 babies. Oh my that is alot.

I will take some more pictures, because the ones I took did not turn out so good. But hope you can see them ok.

Lisa

Oh and I am so glad your little Silkie's crop is good. Thank goodness!

And
wee.gif
woot.gif
for the candling of those precious eggs. I have just a LED flashlight and it works wonderfully, it does take a little bit of work to see through those darker eggs but eventually I can see.

It happens when something blocks the passage either fully or partially and foods starts to ferment in the crop. The crop looks bigger and has like a balloony feel to it. I just seen one of my silkies might have one so I just started the Apple cider vinegar on him.

Hi, thank you so much for posting all of your comments. I just had this happen over the weekend. I noticed Blackie's (my Black Giant) crop was huge on Saturday and it was still that way on Sunday so I came inside and started searching the net and found this string of comments. I took off work early today so I could come home and deal with Blackie. As soon as I got here I started massaging the crop and she spit up a little bit so I picked her up and pointed her butt toward the air and her head toward the ground and held her and massaged her crop and kind of squeezed it very gently and she threw up at least a cup of the soured brown liquid that was in her crop. I had no choice since she was already starting to vomit, and like you, I was worried she would aspirate but she didn't. I am trying to get her to drink the Bragg's and leave it in there to work. I am so worried. I have lost my Barred Rock and my beautiful soft Buff Orphington to something late last year. Two different deaths, not related, and I don't know what caused them. But anyway, I just don't want to lose another one.
fl.gif

I would separate her from the flock and keep her of feed until this is resolved. Feed her scrambled eggs, ACV in water and continue to massage her and help her throw up. Often times their crops get large and hard but they go down within a day or two and they don't need the help. If she has that sour smell to her breath and her feeding and activity is not normal, then this may be problem beyond the typical sour crop. I hate to even mention it here, but I had a Buff O pass last year because of this same situation. I tried everything but eventually she just couldn't eat and passed during the night. It was one of the saddest days in my life...but sometimes these things happen when you have chickens. I never knew exactly what caused her sour crop and why she couldn't recover. I just try to be vigilant in keeping my yard clean of debris that could impact their crop. I am so sorry you are having this problem and I hope she recovers quickly!

I hope your Blackie does well! I have dealt with many since I started this thread and I am starting to feel like a pro now!
wink.png
I could save most but some I could not help. I do with hold the feed for about 24 hours and only give the ACV. I massage, massage and massage again. I then give the olive oil soaked bread. If they won't eat the pieces of bread, I offer them little sips on a spoon. Keep massaging and keep giving the ACV during this time. If that seems to be going OK, I then try a little yogurt. If the yogurt seems to pass through, I then give the yogurt and moistened chicken feed. Hopefully all is moving after this and you can progress to dry feed. I continue the ACV for about a week after.
I do not tip them to drain unless there is no choice. I had some that as soon as you picked them up and massage, there was no choice but to drain it. Just like your Blackie. Please keep us posted on how she is doing!

Back
Top Bottom