Sour/Impacted crop. Getting confused on treatment!

NewToFarming

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Millersburg, PA
I am new to chickens and this is my first experience with sour or impacted crop. I am not sure which it might be at this point. I noticed last night that one of my 12 week old leghorns was hanging in the coop, not going outside and not really interested in treat time. I had seen this morning her crop seems huge compared to the other leghorns. She is drinking but I didn't see her eating. She is walking around, slowly but not going outside. This is very unlike the behavior for any of my leghorns. They are usually flitting around everywhere!
I thought I had everything down and what I needed to pick up after work today. But became confused the more I read up on it.
I initially read that you should try to massage the crop in a downwards motion but now on reading other posts, they had said to rub in an upwards motions. Can someone please clarify which is the correct way to massage the crop? I don't want to cause more damage or make her more ill than what she already is right now.
sad.png

Quote:
I didn't get to feel it this morning and have to start the care, etc. when I get home from work so I am not sure. Will that make the difference on which way to do the massage? It seemed her whole front appeared large, it did not look like just a golf ball in one area, if you know what I mean. It was a little chaotic this morning! I have a broody hen, another new hen and roosters what to all get the new hen (that is a whole other post!
wink.png
) so I had to try to keep the roosters out while I tried to check on everyone. The leghorn kept trying to hide from me and it was just a mess this morning! But I was going to get everything I needed and get my little leghorn girl set up in the house. I was going to start with ACV, then the olive oil and do the massage and work from there.
Let me know if there is a difference in how you should massage the crop depending if it is hard or soft. I can let you know when I get home tonight and get a better look at things!

Chickenmaven.....I am so sorry you lost your little one! I am hoping I can help this little girl!
fl.gif

Quote:
I didn't get to feel it this morning and have to start the care, etc. when I get home from work so I am not sure. Will that make the difference on which way to do the massage? It seemed her whole front appeared large, it did not look like just a golf ball in one area, if you know what I mean. It was a little chaotic this morning! I have a broody hen, another new hen and roosters what to all get the new hen (that is a whole other post!
wink.png
) so I had to try to keep the roosters out while I tried to check on everyone. The leghorn kept trying to hide from me and it was just a mess this morning! But I was going to get everything I needed and get my little leghorn girl set up in the house. I was going to start with ACV, then the olive oil and do the massage and work from there.
Let me know if there is a difference in how you should massage the crop depending if it is hard or soft. I can let you know when I get home tonight and get a better look at things!

Chickenmaven.....I am so sorry you lost your little one! I am hoping I can help this little girl!
fl.gif

New to Farming - if you haven't gotten your supplies yet and you said you would try the ACV first. Please make sure that you get BRAGGS Unfiltered ACV with the 'mother in it". This is organic ACV and it is amazingly good stuff. I don't know where you live but I found mine at Food Lion of all places.

Once you have the opportunity to feel the crop, if it is squishy and soft then this is sour crop. I just had 4 of my 1 1/2 month old BO have this and I treated with the ACV to start. I took all food away. Treats and all. Just gave the ACV in a gallon waterer. (plastic because it corrodes metal). Then the next day I introduced yogurt and still the ACV/water to drink. 3rd day I introduced scrambled eggs, and still yogurt and ACV/water. I did try to massage the crop. I would have to say to do a downward massage instead of upwards.

Impacted crop will be hard to the tough or quite firm and have no give to it when you touch it. I have not had to deal with this type of crop problem so I am afraid I don't have any advice on this one. I know I have seen some posts on here that pertained to impacted crop. Even some surgery ones as well.

I wish you good luck and remember you need to take the food away because she isn't eating it anyways. Oh and seperate her from the rest of the flock if I haven't already stated that.

Lisa

Quote:
wink.png

fl.gif

New to Farming - if you haven't gotten your supplies yet and you said you would try the ACV first. Please make sure that you get BRAGGS Unfiltered ACV with the 'mother in it". This is organic ACV and it is amazingly good stuff. I don't know where you live but I found mine at Food Lion of all places.

Once you have the opportunity to feel the crop, if it is squishy and soft then this is sour crop. I just had 4 of my 1 1/2 month old BO have this and I treated with the ACV to start. I took all food away. Treats and all. Just gave the ACV in a gallon waterer. (plastic because it corrodes metal). Then the next day I introduced yogurt and still the ACV/water to drink. 3rd day I introduced scrambled eggs, and still yogurt and ACV/water. I did try to massage the crop. I would have to say to do a downward massage instead of upwards.

Impacted crop will be hard to the tough or quite firm and have no give to it when you touch it. I have not had to deal with this type of crop problem so I am afraid I don't have any advice on this one. I know I have seen some posts on here that pertained to impacted crop. Even some surgery ones as well.

I wish you good luck and remember you need to take the food away because she isn't eating it anyways. Oh and seperate her from the rest of the flock if I haven't already stated that.

Lisa

Thank you so much! I didn't realize it should be a special type. What is the "mother" in it? Just curious? I have several different types of stores to check for this so hopefully one of them will have it!
I had loaned my son the dog crate so I am picking that up on the way home tonight, cleaning it out well and she is coming in the house. I will let you know if her crop hard or soft after I get everything set up for her. I also will be calling my vet to see if he works with chickens, just in case I need him.
Thanks again and I sure hope I can find the correct ACV.

BTW...I am also a Lisa!
wink.png

Quote:

Lisa

Thank you so much! I didn't realize it should be a special type. What is the "mother" in it? Just curious? I have several different types of stores to check for this so hopefully one of them will have it!
I had loaned my son the dog crate so I am picking that up on the way home tonight, cleaning it out well and she is coming in the house. I will let you know if her crop hard or soft after I get everything set up for her. I also will be calling my vet to see if he works with chickens, just in case I need him.
Thanks again and I sure hope I can find the correct ACV.

BTW...I am also a Lisa!
wink.png

You know i am not at all sure of what the 'mother in it' is. I am guessing that because of being organic and unfiltered. But you can see stuff floating in it. I found mine in the organic aisle. but I assume that you are in a bigger area than I am and I usually have to travel to get stuff we need. lol...

I hope it is just sour crop and beleive me I don't want anyones chickens to get sick but I had such success with the treatment and Speckledhen helped me. And I will be forever greatful because I waited 2 years to get my BO chicks and would be heart broken to lose one. (well any of my chickens to be exact)

Well to a fellow Lisa it is nice to meet ya:) Please let me know if you need anything else! Glad to help you out!

Lisa

Ok, I got my little girl set up and she was so good!!!
smile.png
I know she isn't feeling well because none of my leghorns liked being held and this little girl absolutely loved when I held her tonight. Her crop is soft & squishy actually kind of feels like a balloon in there. I was able to find the Braggs at the first store I had stopped at tonight which was giant food stores. She did take a few sips of that already. I have her in the house, in the dog crate and no food in with her. I know you had said about introducing yogurt the following day but I was wondering if I should try the olive oil tomorrow or is that only for the impacted crops? Do you massage sour crops? I did but it doesn't seem like it really did anything because of how balloony it feels. Thanks for all of your help!!!
smile.png

I just got done massaging her crop again and I must say it seems better already!!!
big_smile.png
It is still balloony feeling but not near as big as it was!!! The Braggs really works. I am even being able to feel some harder stuff in there. If it seems even better by tomorrow morning, I will give her a little yogurt to try and see how that goes. She has been so good and she seems to enjoy the massages and attention!

Quote:
Lisa

I would hold off on food until later tonite if not tomorrow because you really want that ACV to do the job. I would say the earliest for yogurt is tonite. You have to be sure that she has had enough of the Braggs to do the job. Beleive me I felt sorry for my Buffs and gave them food to soon and it was right back to square one for all of them. So not fun there. I know it is torture but in the long run it will benefit her if you stay strong and hold out (unlike myself).

I would say late tonite or early tomorow morning to give yogurt.

I did massage some but I don't know if it did help, maybe a little and if she tolerates it then go for it. I agree it did feel like a balloon and it kinda made the sound of air being let out the first time I massaged.

I hope she is perky today:))

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom