South Carolina

You mean we are supposed to make enough to cover the feed bill????
ep.gif

I suppose I could but I keep getting stuff like lumber and paint and supplies from Cutlers and other places that have some really neat items for chicken farming, ya know?
hide.gif

Oh yeah, I had a single chick hatch today. Bless it's little heart, all the others were shipped eggs or from my Araucana/ Marans cross that did not hatch so it is one lonely baby.
hugs.gif
I guess it is time to get out the feather duster. I have a hatch due on Sunday so it will have buddies then.
jumpy.gif

According to my husband (our only income earner) the chickens SHOULD earn their keep. It would be nice....but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Of course, I'm buying a LOT of food right now. Not saying how much cause then you'd all know how crazy I am. So what is this Cutler's? Never heard of it but sounds like someplace I would like.
big_smile.png
Poor little chicky, I'm sure you have somebody you can foster with him, I've seen your brooder house - you're the only person I've met that comes close to having as many chickens as I have.
big_smile.png

Hmmmm....Karen, that may be my problem with money then. 2 1/2 bags of chicken feed don't last me even 2 days.
sad.png
But I can't find any that I want to part with. Your husband may be right about that incubator theory - I have 4 going, and they've been going for about 2 years now.
big_smile.png
I'm having a blast!

You have never tripped through Cutler's??? OMG, I love to go through them and First State Vet for stuff.

Today from Cutlers I got 2 new scoops for $2.50 each. All the ones I saw in the feed stores were $10, same exact things. I got leg bands in 2 different sets of sizes and all multicolored so I can do bantams and ducks. I got vitamins and probotics for babies with problems. And I got those heat packs that last for 72 hours for only $1.95 each. Got a bunch of those for shipping eggs up north or if the power goes out.

About 2 weeks ago I got some new feeders, waters, heat lamps and gosh...I don't remember what all from Premier. Don't waste your money on Premier heat lamps. My chicks have to get very close to get any heat. I know they are safer but it doesn't work if they are chilled enough to get sick or die.

But yeah, any money I get goes right back into buying for the chickens. I know I could use bowls and buckets but it looks better with actual poultry supplies. I can't keep money in my pocket....
th.gif

I don't count the lumber and stuff as that comes from the scraps from the horse area. I can't really use a 2ft board for a horse, but I can use it in the chicken area lol so we don't waste much around here. Hubby is our only income earner here also, I know the pain. I would have waaayyy to much fun with a bator. Its funny to watch the roosters with their hens, each one had their own little group.

Karen

Yeah, about that addicted subject.....Today is Day 1 of my second round!! Bought 12 BA eggs on ebay, and got 3 eggs from my gma (will be either BSL or BO). Had a good first hatch so i fig i would try some shipped eggs. I will keep yall updated!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom