South Carolina

Will anyone be bringing any Silkie Roosters to sell at the Clemson show (Anderson All Breed Bantam), preferably white, next month? All three of our Silkies ended up being girls
smile.png

Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew of a good place to go get pullets about to lay and older hens? I want to go get them, not get them shipped. I'm around the Sumter/Manning Area. I need it as soon as possible. I was going to go to get some today, but I looked closer at the website and it doesn't put where it is! The one I wanted to go to was http://carolinapoultryfarm.com but I don't know exactly where it is. Anybody know where this one is or a good place?

There is a chicken auction every Saturday at 5:00 in Timmonsville. Lots of good birds go through there, but just know what you are looking for before you go. Also, quarentine all birds always before introducing them to your flock.

hehe. I don't have a flock. In fact I don't have any birds yet.
big_smile.png
and I would need them at least before Wednesday... I'm in a bit of a problem, and I need at least one. (preferable a silkie, maybe because of the fact that they are great adoptive mothers.)

Silkies are great broodies and raise chicks fabulously, but I would be hesitant to say they are good adoptive mothers. If you introduce chicks to any non-broody hen, chances are she'll attack them (it's a dominance thing), even if she is a silkie. I even have one silkie who attacks any chick that is not a silkie, even if she was the one who hatched it (I guess she's 'breedist'!). If you are getting chicks and wanted a hen to mother them, I would have to warn you that that almost never works.

Silkies are great broodies and raise chicks fabulously, but I would be hesitant to say they are good adoptive mothers. If you introduce chicks to any non-broody hen, chances are she'll attack them (it's a dominance thing), even if she is a silkie. I even have one silkie who attacks any chick that is not a silkie, even if she was the one who hatched it (I guess she's 'breedist'!). If you are getting chicks and wanted a hen to mother them, I would have to warn you that that almost never works.
None of my hens will take in a chick unless they are already broody. Even then, it's a gamble as to whether they will accept the chicks. I've never had one accept chicks older than a day or so old, and only if I sneak them under a girl who has been broody long enough.

If you have a broody, sneak said chicks under her in the cloak of night. In the morning "SURPRISE".

This has always worked for me, when I have spare chicks and a broody.

Back
Top Bottom