South Carolina

My chickens eat our fire ants. Another thing you can do without poisening your yard is to pour boiling water on the nest. Gone!!! Works great.

I am off to plant 27 strawberry plants before the weather starts.
Tink

Quote:
boiling water only kills a few workers, but not the queen. She just moves her nest and starts over with new workers. I sure wish it did work! No home remedys work on them, that's why they are such a problem!

Ho ho! There is nothing like chickens getting hold of a vicious mouse!
One grabbed it up and started to run but the mouse must have bit her because she stopped and shook her head. Then another grabbed the mouse and took off but not far before she, too, had to stop and shake her head vigorously! Another swiped the mouse and ran off only to come back by a few minutes later chasing another hen that had the mouse but she was running and shaking her head all at the same time.
That was one mean mouse! But what fun to watch! I need to move the boxes more often!
lau.gif

I have two silkies sitting on 6 guinea eggs each. Dumb me.... I should have marked the guinea eggs but I didn't. Now one of the silkies is sitting on 8 eggs. I took the two I think are silkies eggs. Lesson learned! If any hatch, they will be my first guineas.

Just got 3 new coops delivered. Off to paint the first one Apple Green! I'll post pictures when they're done.
smile.png

I have a BO roo down here in Charleston. He is 2 months old and runs to greet me when I come home from work. I know that I can't keep him in my subdivision because the neighbours will protest.

Does anyone on the board want him??

I put up a flyer at TSC but haven't heard anything for 3 weeks.

Should I just drive to the country where there are other chickens and ask a farmer if he wants him??

Quote:
Susanne, in case you don't know it takes 28 days for guineas to hatch. So if you've mixed chicken and guinea eggs under a hen, you'll need to remove one or the other before hatching time. Good luck, hope the guineas hatch!

Quote:
Me - I have americauna hens.

Would you be willing to meet in Columbia or Irmo?!??
fl.gif
big_smile.png

If you can give me a couple of weeks, I will actually be coming to Columbia and I'd be glad to bring them. I've promised my son a trip to Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens and we're trying to plan a time to do that before it gets too hot. So .... how patient are you?
smile.png

Quote:
I have adult guineas and fertile eggs. Just let me know if you're interested. I'm not far from you, near the GSP airport.

Just let me know costs. Cause I don't think you want any roo's, which I'm overrun with. Shouldn't straight run be at least half n half?? :p

Sorry, I'm overrun with roosters too! And yes, straight run SHOULD be 50/50 but for me it's usually more like 60/40 or even 70/30 in favor of roos. Sent you a message about the guineas.
smile.png

Quote:
Just let me know costs. Cause I don't think you want any roo's, which I'm overrun with. Shouldn't straight run be at least half n half?? :p

Sorry, I'm overrun with roosters too! And yes, straight run SHOULD be 50/50 but for me it's usually more like 60/40 or even 70/30 in favor of roos. Sent you a message about the guineas.
smile.png

I have this problem, too...I've got to convince my hens to cooperate more and change those ratios!

Back
Top Bottom