South Carolina

Sharing our babes soon to be 1 month old

Their wings are so big...lol
They were supposed to be getting a friend today, but poop happens...lol

I'll be looking on getting 2 more hens for this group, maybe Ameracauna, or BCM
My daughter's pretty picky on her chickies looks, so we'll see what she ends up choosing
263a.png

Is there anyone in Sumter SC, if so can you tell me what the ordinance/permit requirements are. I have checked the city and county ordinances and haven't seen much. From what I can read I think all residential zones permit SIC 01 & 02 coded livestock which includes chickens, but thats all I could find. I called and emailed the city and county but have yet to hear anything from anyone. TIA!!!

I'm in Spartanburg. Have eight 12 wk old pullets but I think two are Roos.
Can't wait to get our first eggs. I worry a lot about the chicks when it is so hot out.

Hey wildivy. I am just outside of Spartanburg. :) Just be sure the chi ksns have shade a nd plenty of fresh water and they will be fine. I had a chicken be a dodo last week and overheated herself and then laid down in direct sunlight. *facepalm* Luckily, I went to check on them and saw her. I brought her inside, dropperfed her water, and kept her in a cool quiet place and she was back to herself in a few hours.

Thx for the help. I'm giving them cold watermelon, cold water stations around the back yard, spraying water w the hose and all kinds of things. Not that I mind doing whatever I need to do for the chics, just didn't realize this heat would be such a problem for them. I was thinking that the cold weather was going to be the worrisome time. Now from reading it seems that that will not be an issue at all other than maybe a couple days I'll have to make sure their water isn't frozen.

@TenDutch I'm still figuring out how to navigate through BYC site. I called Hellen in City Planning. You can own 3-4 hens for personal use, but no roosters. If you live in a subdivision that has an HOA, check with them to make sure they allow you to own poultry. Sorry it took me forever to reply.
Is there anyone in Sumter SC, if so can you tell me what the ordinance/permit requirements are.  I have checked the city and county ordinances and haven't seen much.  From what I can read I think all residential zones permit SIC 01 & 02 coded livestock which includes chickens, but thats all I could find.  I called and emailed the city and county but have yet to hear anything from anyone.  TIA!!!

Hey wildivy. I am just outside of Spartanburg.
smile.png
Just be sure the chi ksns have shade a nd plenty of fresh water and they will be fine. I had a chicken be a dodo last week and overheated herself and then laid down in direct sunlight. *facepalm* Luckily, I went to check on them and saw her. I brought her inside, dropperfed her water, and kept her in a cool quiet place and she was back to herself in a few hours.

Is that a Polish chicken on your Avatar? I have one silver laced Polish, two white Cochin, one blue Cochin, 1 partridge Cochin (a roo), 1 Sicilian buttercup (suspected roo), one splash who may or may not be a blue Andalusion, and a black hen who may or may not be a blue Andalusion. Still waiting to see what color eggs they lay.

Well my Sicilian buttercup crowed, so the mystery is now over. I'll have to find a home for this one as I already have a surprise Cochin cockerel whom we had decided to keep and can't keep two Roos with only 6 girls. He is a beautiful bird and is very tame too. He lands on your arm if you hold it out and will perch on your shoulder.
Any ideas on how I might find him a good home around here?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom