South Texas Coop and Run

TexasEggRancher

Chirping
Feb 13, 2018
Alvin , Texas
Almost done with the new coop and run. The new chicks will be moving into their new home soon. They are 4 weeks old now and growing fast.
IMG_5843.jpg
IMG_5853.jpg
IMG_5864.jpg
Coop 2.jpg
coop 3.jpg
IMG_5717.jpg
IMG_5719.jpg
IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_5793.jpg
IMG_5887 (002).jpg
IMG_5889 (002).jpg
IMG_5892 (002).jpg
IMG_5895.jpg
IMG_5897 (002).jpg
IMG_5899 (002).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5884 (002).jpg
    IMG_5884 (002).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 4
Very Nice!!
That's a lotta latchery on the screen/solid doors!

Gonna add anti-dig apron all around?
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Thanks for the comments. Yes, gonna work on the anti-dig apron this week and get the door built for the run area. Yes , there are a lot of hinges and latches on this thing. My wife thinks I'm a little crazy. The solid doors on the end are on removable hinges and can be taken off during the heat of the summer , which is usually around 9 months of the year around here. Been working on the feeder and waterer too. Want to move the chicks out to the coop sometime next week.

IMG_5826.jpg
IMG_5827.jpg

Yes , there are a lot of hinges and latches on this thing. My wife thinks I'm a little crazy. The solid doors on the end are on removable hinges and can be taken off during the heat of the summer ,
Well, you are...a little...but I get it. :lol:
It's a very nice door design..... and build.
You may need even more ventilation

The coop wall with the chicken door/ramp...you may want to open that wall with hardware cloth.
It is under the covered run and the roof will help keep the water/rain out.
This one:
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 8.06.52 AM.png

The opposite wall (with the two doors that open) this one:
Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 8.07.01 AM.png

You might end up having to keep closed more often due to rain getting in.

I am in Houston and I have an open air coop.
It gets HOT! Too hot for a closed up coop, imo.

Very nice build!

The coop wall with the chicken door/ramp...you may want to open that wall with hardware cloth.
It is under the covered run and the roof will help keep the water/rain out.
This one:
View attachment 1343340
The opposite wall (with the two doors that open) this one:
View attachment 1343341
You might end up having to keep closed more often due to rain getting in.

I am in Houston and I have an open air coop.
It gets HOT! Too hot for a closed up coop, imo.

Very nice build!

Well , looks like I might be adding more ventilation. Will see what I can come up with , shouldn't be to much trouble on that inner wall. Do yall think I should make it an open window covered with hardware cloth , but also have doors that can close if it is really cold ?

Well , looks like I might be adding more ventilation. Will see what I can come up with , shouldn't be to much trouble on that inner wall. Do yall think I should make it an open window covered with hardware cloth , but also have doors that can close if it is really cold ?
It will never be that cold down here.
I know if sounds weird but just recently when it snowed here and we had the little ice storm...my open cooped chickens we just fine.

They didn't skip a beat.

Back
Top Bottom