Southern 101---Explanation of all things Southern

I'll take my cornbread in pea juice. I like my okra fried, nice and crisp. Fresh cucumbers sliced right out of the garden. Grits are a food group. And ladies dont sweat, they get the vapors. Oh, and yonder is pronounced yUnder. I was born in Key West. My dads family are all yankees, my moms, from north Ga. I would spend summers up here with her family and my friends would laugh at me when I went back home.

How about light bread, meaning not cornbread. Or to visitors leaving, "You better stay with us," or "You can go home when you cain't go nowhere else." My grandmother always called recipes "receipts." I think that was used by a lot of older women, maybe not just southern women. I like to be called ma'am and I love buttermilk. In the south, children didn't call family friends by first names so Betty, no relation, would be called Aunt Betty. My mother always called her in-laws Mr. Sam and Miss Mary. A sign of respect.

Quote:
Actually Southern when we went through Il on a trip. In a little country restaurant they had sweet tater fries. Really good fried catfish too. No Okra though.

And if you want to start a fight say that your state's BBQ is better than another state's.

Unless you happen to be from North Carolina and then you know which has the best

smile.png

That's right... You always are sure to say Yes/No Ma'am or Yes/No Sir down here!! Whew, will your mama whoop your fanny if you don't! lol And you speak to everyone, no matter where you are, what line your in, or anything. You talk, talk, talk and then make plans to get together -

Last edited:
A misadventure with my dad that caused a Northern/Southern culture clash was over a cup of sweet tea. We were up in Blue Ridge, Georgia. Do you know that some of the restaurants there don't serve sweet tea ?

Well dad and I enter into a Applebees I think, first thing out of my dad's mouth is, "Do yall serve sweet tea in this establishment ?" The waitress laughs and tells them that they do.
Dad and I are glad to hear this of course. Dad tells the waitress, "Good to hear. I was thinking this entire town had been overrun by Yankees."

We didnt see the party of ten older ladies between 45 - 60. One responded, "Well Id never... Perhaps we will just leave."

Dad said he'd hold the door for them.

Back
Top Bottom