Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

barnie.gif

Beatrice, my HUGE sweet, good natured White Orpington, turned out this morning to be Ben, the wimpiest rooster alive. So I'm back to looking for a home for him. Honestly, he's a gorgeous specimen and very un-roosterlike. He's about 6 months old and crowed this morning for the first time. I'll post some pics. I'm looking for a home for him, so if anyone knows of anyone looking for a rooster for breeding purposes, let me know. I'm no expert, but he's a beauty.

And I hatched him myself. Okay, well, you know what I mean...
roll.png
Oh I'm sorry to hear that suzanne.
th.gif
I know you are crazy for that bird.

Here he is, the newly renamed Ben:

I kinda knew something was up with those big feet and long tail feathers. But the hens chase him and he never crowed. Oh well. Now I have room for chicks...

Here he is, the newly renamed Ben:

I kinda knew something was up with those big feet and long tail feathers.  But the hens chase him and he never crowed.  Oh well.  Now I have room for chicks...

Oh...is there any chance "he" could be a "she" trying to crow? :/ Sometimes dominant hens will crow, but it sounds like this one isn't dominant. Your bird does not have a rooster stance, so I'm wondering if you should hang onto it a little while longer. My wyandottes had tail feathers like the ones in your picture and I swore they were boys. The tail feathers did not develop any further and they eventually started laying eggs with the other gals. You may get lucky and find out this is a hen after all.

I am getting great ideas from this. Wish I had found it sooner!

A tip...when you want to reply to a specific post, don't hit the "reply" button. Instead, press the "quote" button. It will copy the post and embed it in your reply. If you want to reply to more than one quote at a time, press "multi" for each quote that you want to respond to, then press "reply" when you are done selecting the various posts.

Oh...is there any chance "he" could be a "she" trying to crow?
hmm.png
Sometimes dominant hens will crow, but it sounds like this one isn't dominant. Your bird does not have a rooster stance, so I'm wondering if you should hang onto it a little while longer. My wyandottes had tail feathers like the ones in your picture and I swore they were boys. The tail feathers did not develop any further and they eventually started laying eggs with the other gals. You may get lucky and find out this is a hen after all.
He's like twice the size of all the other birds. His feet are huge. I knew he wasn't like the other girls. I doubt he's a she. Oh well. Still only got 2 roosters from the 4 eggs I hatched. That's better odds that some of us around here!

I'm so sad....my lav. orp is sickly for bout 36 hours now and i'm at whits end. I'd thought it was waking up yesterday morning to the very cold temps here but she isn't making a come around since bringing her inside to warm/feed/love her up. Housed in a well bedded crate at night in a draft free no heat shed......play time in grassy pen every day and medicated feed n treats. Fresh veggies...fruit.....scratch and bedding/water. gave vet rx and any kind of treats I can offer and she is un-onterested. :(.
.No apparent disease signs and even posting in the emergency/diseases section i cant find anything yet to help diagnose her.

She is lathargic/drinks/won't eat but a smidgeon/no impacted crop/no fowl poo althpouigh oit ios watery but pof goopd color.....no tumors/no mites/loce or worms seen in her poo etc.Pale comb...empty crop. No sniffles/sneezing/weepy anything. Breathing is great. she is fairly attentive.....but ....tail down and fluffed up. Oh my..........
idunno.gif
I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom