Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Article on the front page of the Wall Street Journal about Chicken Keeping and lack of Health Care or Vets who know what to do. A few of us were interviewed, myself included and our own Carolyn Hecht was quoted as well as Kathy Mormino.. Short and sweet, felt wanting for more but it is there about people like us!
Enjoy!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...9081812563033586.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

Heading for a Conference in Pittsburgh tomorrow, back on Sunday

BTW...did my 1st Bumblefoot surgery 2 weeks ago. Poppy is doing great. I will be less nervous and shaky the next time as I have 3 more waiting to be treated. Without it, Poppy would have eventually died. Luckily, I have some medical background, not squeamish at all. Although I am married to a physician, he leaves that kind of stuff to me. But he is a good holder! LOL

I sent Jon from the Wall Street Journal to Carolyn, he had originally called me but somehow my flock was too "big" for him to use any information. Now to go find the paper, hopefully he mentioned me. Or maybe not...

Article on the front page of the Wall Street Journal about Chicken Keeping and lack of Health Care or Vets who know what to do. A few of us were interviewed, myself included and our own Carolyn Hecht was quoted as well as Kathy Mormino.. Short and sweet, felt wanting for more but it is there about people like us!
Enjoy!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...9081812563033586.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

Heading for a Conference in Pittsburgh tomorrow, back on Sunday

Fantastic article! True enough though, we chicken moms and dads most times need to take matters in our own hands-Poultry vets are hard to come by!

Dr. Greenacre was the vet Richard took the lectures from in Chicago a few months ago. I'm glad Jon from the WSJ decided to interview her. Richard is waiting for her book due out later this year.
When she asked for a show of hands as to whether people in the lectures were there because they were seeing poultry at their clinic or They owned chickens what do you think the overwhelming response was?
Unfortunately for us vets aren't required to take a lot of poultry courses and our girls have always been looked on as food animals. Only recently are the universities trying to get ahead of things. In my opinion because of the lack of money to be had in poultry medicine I don't think there will ever be a large number of knowledgable vets out there.

It was very similar when I was at Cornell in the early 80's and we received samples from the Bronx zoo .i would spend a great deal of time in the library to find out what they were related to so as to get some kind of idea what we were looking for. We could only hope things go in the way of zoo medicine.

I sent Jon from the Wall Street Journal to Carolyn, he had originally called me but somehow my flock was too "big" for him to use any information. Now to go find the paper, hopefully he mentioned me. Or maybe not...
Hi Roberta! And Hi to everyone here. I've been out of commission with some horrible muscle pain thing. Finally got a tentative diagnosis today. Polymyalgia Rheumatica. Ugh. It's been going on for almost two months now. Awful pain in the mornings, less and less as the day goes on, and then almost no pain by 9 or 10 pm. Saw a Rheumatologist today. Drew bloods and did a thorough exam. I've been on prednisone for most of these past weeks. Still on one a day now. Crazy, crazy, crazy thing is: ALL THE PAIN DISAPPEARED this morning. No pain all day. Still none now, this evening. It all started mid July like a sudden blast of pain, and now it all disappeared just as suddenly as it came. I'm amazed.

Anyway, Yes I was interviewed by phone by the reporter who wrote the print article and he briefly mentioned me twice. But after his phone interview with me, he sent a videographer and she did a video interview. She was here from 10:30 in the morning until 1pm and I swear I never stopped talking. (I'm such a ham.) (Can a Jewish lady call herself a ham???) Anyway, she must have had quite a task whittling down all that footage to the video that's on the Wall Street Journal's page. I was sure to tell her that the great source of all chicken knowledge was our very own ChickenFairyGodmother on BackyardChickens.com, but that part of the interview got left "on the cutting room floor."

In the video, there's me and Dear Husband Gene with HennyPenny on my lap, and the whole rest of the video is of me and my ChickArena and my flock.

The link is for the article and also for the video. Just go to the page and you'll see three tabs at the top. Article, Video, Comments. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...9081812563033586.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

-Carolyn252 ("Mother-of-Chickens")

Is that a baby Seabright? She looks like the one Heather gave me before she moved to Texas. Her name was Nutmeg but my son renamed her Nutjob. She's our rooster wannabe and a little "nutty"!

So I finally had a chance to clean off my desk tonight, and I found a 10% off coupon for Williams Sonoma. So did I buy an obnoxiously over-priced coop because it was slightly less overpriced? Yes, yes, I did. Blame PMS, blame 9/11, blame me just meeting a neighbor that has hens despite the rules in the HOA, whatever. I am clearly a happier person with chickens in my life. My daughter Jane already wants me to get a Silkie for her. Gee, do you think they might have some for sale at the Texas State Fair perchance? Hmm. Maybe.

I really am crazy!

Lol.

PS My father in law actually seems to be getting better, which is astonishing, but he has some speech aphasia issues. Not quite sure what happens next but I'm so happy his kidneys are working again. 
I didn't think it would be too long before you had some more chickens. I think that's fantastic
Great news about your F-I-L too
Nutjob seems to be happy with the new additions I got from Roberta. I will try and post a photo... Love Pip

Back
Top Bottom