Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

It is sooooo quiet in here lately. Is everyone ok? What is everyone hatching? I know I said I would never do quail again, but I am trying Cots and buttons. Maybe it was just the bobwhites that were so crazy and aggressive. I also have blue brassy back sport OEG and cream legbars going in for the easter hatch. I also won some red golden pheasant eggs that are coming in April!!! I have wanted those for years, wish me luck. AND I have decided to order silver welsh harlequin ducks from Holderread's (not sure if I can get them this season or will have to wait). Now, all I need to to is track down some turkeys.... 

Hi Christine
Hope you are feeling better. I've been so busy with our renovation I haven't had time to follow BC posts but I just caught up now.
Can anyone suggest where I can order some fertilized eggs from? I have two chickens in spring laying mode the Spitzhauben and the Brabanter (thanks Christine) and the two little Seramas are brooding so I thought maybe I give them something to sit on...

Pip, I can provide you with as many fertilized eggs as you like (those hens do get going in the spring)... I am certain there are probably some folks closer to you though. How many eggs can a little serama lay on? Perhaps you want to get bantam eggs?

I had 12 eggs make it to lockdown on my most recent hatch: 10 hatched, 2 never pipped. Of the 10 one didn't make it, one is in questionable shape (pipped wrong end), the other 8 are just the fattest little things ever (4 boys, 4 girls cream legbars). Yay!!! Finally. Assuming they all do well. So, I should be able to add 2 more trios (I have one quad going now). I will have to see if these all come out crested or not (I am trying to get them all crested).

Pip, I can provide you with as many fertilized eggs as you like (those hens do get going in the spring)... I am certain there are probably some folks closer to you though. How many eggs can a little serama lay on? Perhaps you want to get bantam eggs? 

What a good idea! I think bantam eggs would be a great idea. They could probably sit on four each. Hopefully I could get at least a couple of girls out of that many. Do you have any ideas about those? Do you even have bantams or are yours all full sized?

What a good idea! I think bantam eggs would be a great idea. They could probably sit on four each. Hopefully I could get at least a couple of girls out of that many. Do you have any ideas about those? Do you even have bantams or are yours all full sized?
I have only full sized hens right now, my bantams all got taken by the hawk this year, all 11 of them ;-( ... I am not sure who on here has fertile bantam eggs available since it has been sooooo quiet in here. I will poke around on some other threads for you (I am looking for some bantam eggs myself). I do know one kid who sells a number of bantam breeds as eggs for around $20 a dozen. I had a decent hatch on them last year (despite a power outage in the middle of the hatch). If we can't find anything for you, you are always welcome to mine.

I have only full sized hens right now, my bantams all got taken by the hawk this year, all 11 of them ;-( ... I am not sure who on here has fertile bantam eggs available since it has been sooooo quiet in here. I will poke around on some other threads for you (I am looking for some bantam eggs myself). I do know one kid who sells a number of bantam breeds as eggs for around $20 a dozen. I had a decent hatch on them last year (despite a power outage in the middle of the hatch). If we can't find anything for you, you are always welcome to mine. 

I replied once but somehow I must have done something wrong.
Sorry about your bantams, I do recall you mentioning it at the time.
What type of bantam eggs does your young kid have for sale?
Oh and good luck with the golden pheasants

Hi to you all.

Whole 'nother question for you Long Islanders: A neighbor did a few days of chicken sitting for me and I gave her two dozen eggs as a thank you.

Now she's asked me if she can buy a dozen from me when I have them and I told her that I don't know what to charge as I've never sold them before. She laughed and said to check the web for organic eggs.

So, I've gone web searching for current local prices for backyard chickens' eggs and see that prices range from $2.50 a dozen to $8 a dozen. Setting aside the reality that each egg probably costs us a thousand dollars to produce (building the coop, feed, organic scratch, BOSS, dried mealworms, Purina Layena Plus Omegas, labor, free range quality, etc., etc.) LOL, I'm thinking to ask for $4.50 or $5 a dozen. What are the local prices for fresh, "organic," free range, pampered hens' eggs where you live? I only have 8 chickens, so am not exactly overrun with available eggs. She's right next door, so convenience is a factor, too.

Hello everyone! I'm in Dutchess County and looking to find local Peeps!
wink.png
My name is Jessica, stay at home-mom of 3 and I have decided to venture into the world of chickens! Total newbie. My eggs are in the incubator now. First time & shipped eggs, that probably wasn't the greatest idea. I just hope I get a chick or two. I've decided to keep the babies. Looking for a coop now. Hope everyone is enjoying there spring, it took long enough to get here! I look forward to reading through the thread here & there. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom