Southern vs. Northern Speak

Ol'FashionHen :

Bless her/his heart... ROFL!!! That is SOOO true! Church is horrible for that... I swear!

gig.gif
sad ...but true.

Ohhh I love Southern food, why if I could afford it I'd have y'all down fer some
fried chicken corn bread
BBQ ribs buttermilk biscuts
mashed taters green beans
fried green maters greens
chees grits pinto beans
roas-in-ears with all the buttah fried squash
pies pies and more pies dumpins
italian cream cake red velvet cake
slaw wilted salad
and gravy on everything...........................................
celebrate.gif

lau.gif
And that would be all in the SAME MEAL
lau.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ol'FashionHen :

Oh, yes! How come, c'mere, and we drop all our 'g's. It is 'fer' not 'for', does anyone actually say 'for'? And sure is 'shure' not 'shore'.

Some of my FILs sayings, that came from his dad, a horse wrangler and true Western cowboy.

"My big stomach's chasin' my little stomach"
"My stomach thinks my throat's been cut"
(For some reason the all have to do with eating.... )
Bumpin' Uglies.... Don't ask, it cracks me up though.

He has a ton more, but I cant think of them all...
Oh, "he's as useless as teats on a boar-hog"
And if you say, "Bless her little heart", you can say any nasty thing about someone and it is OK.

lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
How a bout that room is so small you can't even whoop a cat in it.

We all get gus-seed-up to go see so and so get hitched.
We all wear britches.
Fellas sometimes wear ohver-hauls.
Most Grandmas are Grannies.
We throw one heck of a shin-dig.
The Lord willin' and the cricks don't rise.

I love it y'all keep em' comin'..................
clap.gif

Yup heard em all except whoopin the cat....
lol.png

And NUH-UH is definitely a word!!​

Quote:
gig.gif
sad ...but true.

Ohhh I love Southern food, why if I could afford it I'd have y'all down fer some
fried chicken corn bread
BBQ ribs buttermilk biscuts
mashed taters green beans
fried green maters greens
chees grits pinto beans
roas-in-ears with all the buttah fried squash
pies pies and more pies dumpins
italian cream cake red velvet cake
slaw wilted salad
and gravy on everything...........................................
celebrate.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif

That sounds SO good.. the red velvet cake I'd get seconds on and ya'll'd (crazy contraction - for "you all would" whoa - don't know how to spell it but I sure enough do say it!) have to roll me out the door!

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif

That sounds SO good.. the red velvet cake I'd get seconds on and ya'll'd (crazy contraction - for "you all would" whoa - don't know how to spell it but I sure enough do say it!) have to roll me out the door!

I gained so much weight living in KY...I never have so much starch served in one sitting my entire life. Biscuts and gravy with every meal, along with yor mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, maybe some peas also and some kind of beans( pinto, white, red, pork and...ect)

Quote:
seriously how can you eat greens and call it good??..we were camping with some friends from texas and she made collard greens..said to me "go ahead and have some they taste like spinach"..well,I like spinach so I tried some..let me just say its not even close to spinach and I was looking for a place to spit it out..nasty crap..I dumped the rest in the horse pen and even DH old horse that eats anything..wouldnt touch it.

I'm not a southerner, but I sure have heard many of those words and phrases used around here! I used to go to North Carolina once a month while I was in college to volunteer at Uwharrie National Forest and to this day I still throw in a "y'all" now and then and drop my g's at the end of words!

We're in a rural county where the grammar seems different than other places in the state. It drove my mom nuts when she moved down here from the city when she was 12... she calls it Carroll County english.
We call the town Carrollton - Carroll-un
We call the town Canton - Cant-in
A place that you get food at an event is called an "eat stand" not a concession stand!
I can't think of any others right now... but I know there is more!

There were some other things we noticed varied even across the state when I was in college:
A winter hat is: 1) a tobbogan, 2) a stocking cap, or 3) just a hat (that's what I call it)?
A U-shaped object that you drive into a fence post to hold the fence on is called a: 1) staple or 2) steeple (I call it a staple... as far as I'm concerned a steeple is on a church!)

Ok, Im from Rhode Island and we have some weird ones
wink.png

1) Soda

2) We've always called them carriages ( The store things on wheels
tongue.png
)

3) Missing school we called it bunking

Now here are some others you may scratch your head at ( My DH does)

We call what most people call a water fountain, a bubbler.

The concrete barrier in the middle of the highway is called a jersey barrier

and what some people may call subs, hoagies, etc we call em grinders.

Oh and if you think something is great, cool, awesome, etc.. it's wicked cool, wicked awesome, wicked good, etc

Bluemoon

Back
Top Bottom