Spitzhaubens

So Mama has hatched all 5 spitz eggs. The last one needed help. She accidentally crushed the last two as they were already pipped and looked like maybe starting to zip. One did ok and was out this morning. the other was not. A blood vessel had leaked and had dried the membrane and shell across one side of the chicks face and neck. It was completely glued in. So I scooped it up and brought it in and soaked the head in warm water and got it off. It then opened it's glued eye and started cheeping loudly. I left the bottom half of the shell on since it looked like just a smidge of yolk still needed a little absorbing and by the time I got home from work, the little one was out and fluffed up. It is the smallest of the 5, so naturally it's probably my favorite.

I then went outside to open up all the coops. My easter Spitz babies have been transitioning to the spitz coop slowly. I was letting them sleep in the cat carrier out in the sheep shelter near the spitz coop. After two successful nights, I went out this morning and something had attacked the carrier. It managed to grab my favorite spitz baby with the nicest crest and ripped it's head off.:hit The other 5 are fine, just shaken up. Tonight they will go into the spitz coop in the carrier. It's just so cramped in there especially with all the broodies, but at least it's safer. I still need to sell some of these babies since all the ladies wanted to have babies of their own. Hopefully some of these babies will have nicer crests.

A picture of mama and her babies.
20200602_121642.jpg

This is the mini coop we just finished which will house some of the chicks...
mini coop finsh.jpg mini coop c.jpg
The brooder chicks are big and gangly. We aren't putting them out, tho, until we finish the run area tomorrow. We have really pushed to get this done.
I replaced a wall in their brooder w cardboard and cut a hole that leads into a cat carrier in which we will transport them...they are very curious!
gangly.jpg You can see that the male Sprights already have prominent combs at 4 weeks. No wondering about them. One of them even crowed a tiny crow!
Moonshine's babies are 3 weeks, and it's hard to get any photos that aren't blurry as they are in perpetual motion. We'll settle for individuals...
Here is her sole Spitzhauben Moonshine's Spitz 6-2.jpg I hope it's a girl!
And one of her Sprights Moonshine's Spright 6-2.jpg
What a contrast their lives are to the youngsters in the basement!

So Mama has hatched all 5 spitz eggs. The last one needed help. She accidentally crushed the last two as they were already pipped and looked like maybe starting to zip. One did ok and was out this morning. the other was not. A blood vessel had leaked and had dried the membrane and shell across one side of the chicks face and neck. It was completely glued in. So I scooped it up and brought it in and soaked the head in warm water and got it off. It then opened it's glued eye and started cheeping loudly. I left the bottom half of the shell on since it looked like just a smidge of yolk still needed a little absorbing and by the time I got home from work, the little one was out and fluffed up. It is the smallest of the 5, so naturally it's probably my favorite.

I then went outside to open up all the coops. My easter Spitz babies have been transitioning to the spitz coop slowly. I was letting them sleep in the cat carrier out in the sheep shelter near the spitz coop. After two successful nights, I went out this morning and something had attacked the carrier. It managed to grab my favorite spitz baby with the nicest crest and ripped it's head off.:hit The other 5 are fine, just shaken up. Tonight they will go into the spitz coop in the carrier. It's just so cramped in there especially with all the broodies, but at least it's safer. I still need to sell some of these babies since all the ladies wanted to have babies of their own. Hopefully some of these babies will have nicer crests.
Dang... so sorry for your loss. :hugs

This is the mini coop we just finished which will house some of the chicks...
View attachment 2173560 View attachment 2173562
The brooder chicks are big and gangly. We aren't putting them out, tho, until we finish the run area tomorrow. We have really pushed to get this done.
I replaced a wall in their brooder w cardboard and cut a hole that leads into a cat carrier in which we will transport them...they are very curious!
View attachment 2173571 You can see that the male Sprights already have prominent combs at 4 weeks. No wondering about them. One of them even crowed a tiny crow!
Moonshine's babies are 3 weeks, and it's hard to get any photos that aren't blurry as they are in perpetual motion. We'll settle for individuals...
Here is her sole Spitzhauben View attachment 2173572I hope it's a girl!
And one of her Sprights View attachment 2173573
What a contrast their lives are to the youngsters in the basement!
Very impressive! The extra room will be so appreciated.

(But, where is the ventilation)

(But, where is the ventilation)
Well, you are right, there may not be enuf yet, but so far there are
4 of these round vents, 3"
small vents.jpg
and 2 of these metal ones, 16" X 8". They are cast aluminum, heavy duty, probably decades old, found in the old barn. They can lock shut or prop the covers open.
side vent 2.jpg side vent.jpg

Last edited:
The brooder batch got moved to their coop yesterday. They were really afraid at first!
first moment.jpg
Here they are getting their first view of the great outdoors. I'll let them out in a couple of days....
looking out2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom