Splay leg or something else?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I heard loud “help” cheeps coming from my brooder. Found this little guy below stuck in the feeder. He must’ve hurt his leg as when I took him out he couldn’t walk. I fastened this band-aid, but he isn’t getting around on his own w it. Any advice? I am holding him w his feet flat now to keep him warm but he keeps cheeping for help. When I put him in the brooder he just falls on his face.

1681156971628.jpeg

I heard loud “help” cheeps coming from my brooder. Found this little guy below stuck in the feeder. He must’ve hurt his leg as when I took him out he couldn’t walk. I fastened this band-aid, but he isn’t getting around on his own w it. Any advice? I am holding him w his feet flat now to keep him warm but he keeps cheeping for help. When I put him in the brooder he just falls on his face.

View attachment 3462627
I do apologize but I am currently unable to help due to circumstances at home. I have also been having a lot of difficulties with mine as it had been a double slipped tendon..

I was just on the site possibly to get some more help as another issue as arose with my chick. I did see that this thread seems to have great advice and some good links as well in the replies! The chick might also be more like what you are dealing with than what I have to deal with!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-3-day-old-chick-can’t-walk-please-help.1572990/

I do apologize but I am currently unable to help due to circumstances at home. I have also been having a lot of difficulties with mine as it had been a double slipped tendon..

I was just on the site possibly to get some more help as another issue as arose with my chick. I did see that this thread seems to have great advice and some good links as well in the replies! The chick might also be more like what you are dealing with than what I have to deal with!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-3-day-old-chick-can’t-walk-please-help.1572990/
Thank you. Hope your home situation gets better, whatever it may be…

Not good. It is refusing to eat now, even when I put the food in front of it. I am hoping it passes quietly on its own tonight. If not, I’ll probably have to cull tomorrow. Poor thing. 😞

Not good. It is refusing to eat now, even when I put the food in front of it. I am hoping it passes quietly on its own tonight. If not, I’ll probably have to cull tomorrow. Poor thing. 😞
I am deeply sorry you are experiencing this :hugs I to am having difficulties with my chick. I have learned that slipped tendons are not easily fixed if that is what your chick also has wrong..

Did any of the threads help by chance? Were you able to tell if it is splay leg or if it’s a slipped tendon?

I have to Google a bunch of different leg issues in chick and watched a bunch of different videos, while examining the chicks leg to see if mine looked like those chicks in the videos I was watching

I have a chick (quail) currently that has splay, and I tried all the internet things.... tape, elastic and straw splint.... but either it would slip out of it, or would just lay on its belly crying with its legs straight out behind, so, I tried one more thing and made string hobbles. After a bit of length adjusting, I found the right fit, and , the little dude is doing great! It's running around with the rest of the crew.

Now, I should probably note that it was still mobile before I splinted but the splay was accelerating.

I'll definitely be going this route again in the future if I have issues again.

Hope this helps and it isn't too late!!

Attachments

• 20230411_155712.jpg
    20230411_155712.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 2
I am deeply sorry you are experiencing this :hugs I to am having difficulties with my chick. I have learned that slipped tendons are not easily fixed if that is what your chick also has wrong..

Did any of the threads help by chance? Were you able to tell if it is splay leg or if it’s a slipped tendon?

I have to Google a bunch of different leg issues in chick and watched a bunch of different videos, while examining the chicks leg to see if mine looked like those chicks in the videos I was watching
None of the splay leg hobbles worked. I tried putting her in a cup with a sling leg thing, that seemed to keep her comfortable but didn’t improve anything. She passed last night and I buried her in the woods this morning. I am almost positive she slipped on the food. I usually keep the top piece on, but this time I didn’t, and she was stuck inside when I found her. Can’t help to feel a bit of responsibility, never thought one would hurt themselves on something like that. RIP little one…

None of the splay leg hobbles worked. I tried putting her in a cup with a sling leg thing, that seemed to keep her comfortable but didn’t improve anything. She passed last night and I buried her in the woods this morning. I am almost positive she slipped on the food. I usually keep the top piece on, but this time I didn’t, and she was stuck inside when I found her. Can’t help to feel a bit of responsibility, never thought one would hurt themselves on something like that. RIP little one…
My condolences on your experience with going through that. Do not put yourself at the forefront of cause, accidents happen and you did everything you possibly could to help that baby :hugs

RIP little chickie, you were and still are loved ❤️

Back
Top Bottom