Spots on my roos comb

BBB454

Chirping
May 11, 2015
Hi, my rooster got some frostbite over the winter but that has healed up / fallen off. Now he has some strange looking spots on both sides of his comb. He's one year old and is acting normally, no other symptoms that I can detect. I've tried Bag Balm (once) but that didn't seem to help, and actually may have made it a little worse. Can anyone tell me what this might be and how to treat it?

Thanks,
Barb

It looks to me like those are peck marks that are healing. Fowl pox can resemble that, but since mosquitoes transmit fowl pox, I would doubt that it is pox unless you have mosquitoes out.

Doing some quick research on it, it may be Dry Fowl Pox. If it is, its very contagious to other fowl, so you should probably isolate him until you find out for sure. Heres a link for treatment I found on Chicken Chick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6j13-9Pexw

Good luck.

I've done some internet research too, and almost all of the dry fowl pox pictures I've seen appear to have black spots. His are more whitish and he's had them for well over a month now. His 3 hens show no signs of anything similar, so I don't think it's contagious. Thanks for the input though!

It looks to me like those are peck marks that are healing. Fowl pox can resemble that, but since mosquitoes transmit fowl pox, I would doubt that it is pox unless you have mosquitoes out.

This started before our mosquitos arrived. He's only with his 3 hens, all of whom adore him (he is "all that"). I'm around them quite a lot during the day and don't see very much pecking going on between any of them. But I guess who knows what goes on when they're locked in their coop...

By the way, this is a full view of his bad self, LOL. He loves the camera!

I've done some internet research too, and almost all of the dry fowl pox pictures I've seen appear to have black spots. His are more whitish and he's had them for well over a month now. His 3 hens show no signs of anything similar, so I don't think it's contagious. Thanks for the input though!

If the mosquitos arent out then it could be something else, but were it me I would isolate until it was ruled out. Thats just me. The black spots are in advanced cases. Hope things work out with the boy and its nothing serious. Now that I've learned some about it, I'm interested in looking into the vaccine and see what that entails.

Back
Top Bottom