spots on the eggs

missnatalie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
just wondering why my brown eggs have spots on them ! if i scrub hard they would come off, but i know that is not good to scrub the eggs when cleaning them. should i just leave them alone?
has anyone that a bad egg will float in a bowl of water? i heard that i worked

I have had the same thing for years. To me it's just part of having backyard chickens, the variations in the eggs vs the nazi looking eggs you get in the grocery store. It's just part of the "finish" process of the hen making an egg, folks call it speckled. It in no way effects the egg quality.

Ditto above. Sometimes it is actually little blood spots but doesn't affect the edible part of the egg.

Yes, if an egg has gone bad it will completely float in a bowl of water. Don't confuse this with one end standing up as all eggs have air pockets in them and tend to tip that end up when placed in water.

oh i love that name of the bad eggs!
Thank you
big_smile.png

I'd had my own birds for years and years. I was at my mom's house and opened a carton of grocery store eggs and that's totally what popped into my head--all white, totally unifom, all exactly the same. Nazi eggs!

Back
Top Bottom