Spraddle legs, nothing is working!

snowflight1

Chirping
Aug 2, 2019
Canada
20200501_160324.jpg

I got 6 guniea chicks about three weeks ago and at first they all seemed fine. But the morning after we got them one had died. It didnt get under the heat. So we made them a more condensed area that was warmer. But after two weeks, we noticed one looked significantly smaller so we brought it inside and made it eat and drink. But sadly that one passed away too. Eventually we realized that the second one that had died didn't get enough to eat bc it couldnt move properly. It had spraddle legs. We realized that two other ones had sprattle legs too. So we brought them inside, and with some bandaids around the legs one of them is completely fine now. But one of them just will not get better. We've tried bandaids, elastic bands and pipe cleaners but nothing is working. He doesnt open his toes up on one of his feet and he cant even stand. He has no balance. He just lays under the heat lamp, so we have to feed and water him manually. He can barely move and just flops around getting covered in poop. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help it, we are at a loss...

View attachment 2118464
I got 6 guniea chicks about three weeks ago and at first they all seemed fine. But the morning after we got them one had died. It didnt get under the heat. So we made them a more condensed area that was warmer. But after two weeks, we noticed one looked significantly smaller so we brought it inside and made it eat and drink. But sadly that one passed away too. Eventually we realized that the second one that had died didn't get enough to eat bc it couldnt move properly. It had spraddle legs. We realized that two other ones had sprattle legs too. So we brought them inside, and with some bandaids around the legs one of them is completely fine now. But one of them just will not get better. We've tried bandaids, elastic bands and pipe cleaners but nothing is working. He doesnt open his toes up on one of his feet and he cant even stand. He has no balance. He just lays under the heat lamp, so we have to feed and water him manually. He can barely move and just flops around getting covered in poop. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help it, we are at a loss...
I'm sorry about your Keet is not doing well.
I don't know much about raising Guinea Fowl so will tag in a few folks. @Gray Farms @R2elk

Sadly sometimes chicks have a leg issue or deformity that can't be fixed. ( in any type of fowl) To me the leg joint looks turned - hard to tell from the photo. If that's the case and you have been working with the chick for a good while, then culling may be in order. (the older they get the harder to correct issues) I know it stinks and I've had to cull a few chicken chicks with leg issues so understand the thought process. Having to just lay there day after day is no life and it's not fair to him or you. I'm sorry.

1588473251576.png

Check for slipped tendon maybe. I have been treating my little two day old for splay legs and just tonight realized it was slipped tendons. Feel so bad that I have been doing the wrong treatment on my chick the past two days.

What's your brooder set up and what are you feeding? I've never seen splayed legs show up so late.
At first we had them in a large rubber tub with straw and a heat lamp. We realized that the heatlamp was warming the rubber and making it bubble in one spot, where we believe the chicks kept running across and which gave some of them splayed legs.

Back
Top Bottom