Sprained leg?

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
I have a cream legbar Cockerel with a limp. We have checked him over very well and it is not bumblefoot. We have him in an isolated part of the run during the day so that he can't jump on any roosting points but can still see an interact with the other chickens. At night, we bring him into the house so he is not trying to roost.

We mixed up some aspirin water as per the Minnesota extensions website's instructions. There are no visible injuries that we can see. He is otherwise eating and drinking and trying to tidbit the girls from the other side of the cage.

I don't want him to get further injured by trying to mate with his favorite hen, sweetie. I'm pretty sure that's how he got injured. She was teaching him that no means no. Is isolating him until he is better the best course of action here? Is there anything else that we need to do or look for?

About a month ago I found one of my hens limping quite badly, I've had her isolated since and she's still limping, but not near as badly as when I first found her.
So I think all you can really do is keep him separated and give him time for his leg to heal.

About a month ago I found one of my hens limping quite badly, I've had her isolated since and she's still limping, but not near as badly as when I first found her.
So I think all you can really do is keep him separated and give him time for his leg to heal.
For the time being, he is occupying a pen inside the run during the day, but we have some birds currently roosting in there at night so we bring him in the house. I don't want him to have later integration problems. I really hope it doesn't take that long.

I hope your girl recovers soon

For the time being, he is occupying a pen inside the run during the day, but we have some birds currently roosting in there at night so we bring him in the house. I don't want him to have later integration problems. I really hope it doesn't take that long.

I hope your girl recovers soon
Hopefully he does heal swiftly, but leg issues can take awhile in some cases. How much is he limping?

I also hope my hen heals soon, I've been worried she'll be left with a permanent limp.

Hopefully he does heal swiftly, but leg issues can take awhile in some cases. How much is he limping?

I also hope my hen heals soon, I've been worried she'll be left with a permanent limp.
It's not so bad one minute and pretty bad the next. Yesterday, he had trouble stepping on a 4x4 on the ground. Today, he jumped up to a perch I didn't think he could get to. I removed him and blocked the perch. But he is still limping and lonely.

It's not so bad one minute and pretty bad the next. Yesterday, he had trouble stepping on a 4x4 on the ground. Today, he jumped up to a perch I didn't think he could get to. I removed him and blocked the perch. But he is still limping and lonely.
Poor guy!
I would do the best you can to avoid him jumping up on things and keep up what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom