Anyone getting spring chicks this year!? I placed my order about a week and a half ago and I am impatiently waiting! Lol I am getting 5 chicks from Meyer Hatchery with a hatch date of April 29th and I am so excited!!! We already have 7 chickens from Meyer Hatchery and I love them. They just turned 3 in October. I am excited to meet the new little babies. April can’t come soon enough! Lol

We currently have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers.

The new chicks are one each of Speckled Sussex, Delaware, Easter Egger, White Leghorn, and Partridge Rock.

Sooo excited. :D

Anyone else getting chicks this spring!?

My birthday is on April 29th!!!!!

First box arrived yesterday.....
View attachment 1666677
Next box comes next week
So, first order incudes:
Whiting true blue
Whiting true green
Salmon faverolle
Silver spangled hamburgs
White leghorn
Delaware
Buff orpington
...was supposed to be welsummers too, but there was a short hatch

Second order will have;
Appenzeller spitzhauben
Silver laced polish
"Sapphire gem olive eggers" (cute blues with small crests)
"Midnight majesty marans"('marans hybrid' offered by hoovers....interested to see what they produce in color and count)

These will all be split between my flock (9), my sister (10) and my daughter (5).

I've got six serama eggs in my incubator that are due to hatch in two days! I've currently got seven chicks in my brooder (6 silkie, 1 serama) from some previous hatches. I usually head down to the feed store around this time of year and pick up three or four layers. I say 'layers', but they're really just chickens that will lay a regular size egg pretty consistently. I've got a lot of bantams in my flock, so I get lots of little eggs. Hoping for some EEs, Marans, or Australorps, but we'll see what they have!

Nice breed choices!!

Yes, the Polish are what I built my flock around. This is my second shipment. The first arrived DOA as I was stupid enough to have them shipped during the Polar Vortex. Don't do that.

Aw sorry to hear that :(

View attachment 1666703 I’m getting some ducks and geese this year and hopefully 30 more RIR’s.

Lol love the picture! And nice!! I want some ducks but they are so messy

what kind of ducks? I accidently bought 7 little balls at the feed store a year ago. Now have a wandering flock of 12 Welsh Harlequins. LOVE the duck eggs!

I love Welsh Harlequins :love

I want pekin ducks for eggs and Chinese geese because I love geese.

I’m kind of afraid of geese :lau

Wish we had a "LOVE" button!!

X2

:barniehaving that brooder all set up and waiting for the mail is chicken people equivalent to kids and the week before Christmas :fl

LOL so true! :lau

Yup, definitely!

Fantastic breed choices, @KDOGG331 !!! :weeI bet you're exploding with impatience to get your hands on those peeps! :love

@Ol Grey Mare , do I spy Hamburgs and/or Spitzhaubens in there? :love

I have a large shipment of OEGBs arriving tomorrow morning, and a duck order (comprised of Mallards and Calls) coming in April. :love

~Alex

Thank you!!! I definitely am!! Lol April seems so far away!

I have 24 chicks coming on May 28. Still technically spring. I like to wait until everything is warm and dry here.

I ordered 1 buff Orpington, 2 Buff chantecler, 1 welsummer, 5 blue standard cochins, 3 BLR Wyandotte, 2 barnevelder, 2 EE, 2 white standard cochins, 1 SL standard cochin, all females. In roosters I have coming 1 barnevelder, 1 BLR Wyandotte, 1 blue standard cochin, 1 blue Orpington, and 1 bantam mottled cochin.

Please don't make me list the 90 chickens I currently have. :) I also may hatch out a couple of more turkey poults.

That makes sense!! I chose the first available date :lau Specked Sussex were almost out so they weren’t available till April 29th. The other breeds were available sooner but I wanted the SS. Plus I’m glad I didn’t get them sooner cause I have a concert the week before and I think they only hatch their chickens Mondays and then I’m also going to AZ in March, my spring is pretty full, so I think any earlier would have been inconvenient even though it’s hard waiting lol

And nice breed choices!! Do you have separate breed pens for them or do they all run together?

I still can’t believe you have so many chickens! Plus all the other animals! Do you still have all the other animals in your signature? You must go through A LOT of food! Lol btw, I will reply to your PM tomorrow :)

mine is named Tina Turner, but I just call her Tina... She is my profile pic!

Pretty chicken!

Good eye....this box is hamburgs, next box will have spitzhauben

Nice!

Aww pretty!

I ordered 75 chicks for the first week in May. It'll be fun!

Wow that’s a lot of chicks!! I bet it will be!! What breeds?

My birthday is on April 29th!!!!!

Awesome!! you and my chicks will have the same birthday! Lol happy early birthday!

This is a double edged sword for me.
I need new layers but that means I need to remove birds from my flock.
I will likely sell some so I have room to add some.

Aw that stinks! I can understand that, my current birds are 3 years old and will be 4 in October so I really probably should get rid of some of them but they are my pets and I am attached ha but if I ever get a bigger flock and coop or start selling eggs I think I will have to eventually.

So, first order incudes:
Whiting true blue
Whiting true green
Salmon faverolle
Silver spangled hamburgs
White leghorn
Delaware
Buff orpington
...was supposed to be welsummers too, but there was a short hatch

Second order will have;
Appenzeller spitzhauben
Silver laced polish
"Sapphire gem olive eggers" (cute blues with small crests)
"Midnight majesty marans"('marans hybrid' offered by hoovers....interested to see what they produce in color and count)

These will all be split between my flock (9), my sister (10) and my daughter (5).

Nice breeds!! I like the fancier breeds but I worry about them being picked on or being too flighty. One day I would like to try them though.

I have a wee order coming week after next. All pullets :fl

6 Black Australorp
1 Austra white
1 Easter Egger
1 golden laced Wyandotte
1 blue cooper marans

I don’t plan on keeping allll of the Australorps. Maybe 1 or 2. Or 3.

4 at most. Really.

Nice! Do you have any now? Keep all the Australorps :lau :oops:

I plan on getting 3 buff orpington chicks and starting my very own flock!!

Awesome!! Congrats!! I think you will love it!! It is a lot of fun!! And Buff Orpingtons are a great breed!!

I've got six serama eggs in my incubator that are due to hatch in two days! I've currently got seven chicks in my brooder (6 silkie, 1 serama) from some previous hatches. I usually head down to the feed store around this time of year and pick up three or four layers. I say 'layers', but they're really just chickens that will lay a regular size egg pretty consistently. I've got a lot of bantams in my flock, so I get lots of little eggs. Hoping for some EEs, Marans, or Australorps, but we'll see what they have!

You know pictures are mandatory, right? :p :D

And hopefully they have those breeds! Does yours have a calendar or anything? I know some feed stores do. My local one has a list on their website of what breeds are coming in when. And I am sure TSC and other feed stores may have something similar or you could maybe ask. So you could plan.

They are lovely birds!

X2! Mine are a little bit dim sometimes lol but they follow me around/wait for me dig up bugs for them and they are good layers and friendly. I love mine.

Adding to the 18 I already have.

2 Welsummer
2 Barnevelder
2 Easter Egger
2 Speckled Sussex

Awesome choices!! I was gonna get Welsummers for the speckled eggs but my dad wanted to try the Delaware as did I so we got that instead. Maybe one day I will try the Welsummer though and some of the other breeds I wanted like Wyandottes, New Hampshire Red, Cochins or Brahmas, sex links, etc.

Back
Top Bottom