Pics
Gosh, I did not get chicks last year but I’m not sure if I can resist this year! I’ll see what my local feed store has. Kinda scared to buy elsewhere since all of mice are from there.

You definitely should!! They are so cute!

I was always looking at the chicks on line, and had not ordered since about 10 years ago, and finally ordered some in Jan. Here is when they arrived. I may have taken some out at this point...View attachment 1667958 I ordered 30 got 2 extras,
2 blue andelusians, 2 barred rocks, one meal maker girl and 26+1 Fry pan bargains, almost 1/2 are female. :) All 32 were alive, and 5.5 weeks later they are all still alive. It was cold when they arrived, and you can see they still look cold in this box, there wasn't a heat pad.

Nice!! Huh, that’s weird they didn’t include a heat pad! When I ordered mine they had one even though it was only the end of October, but I only ordered 8+mealmaker so maybe when there are more chicks they figure they will keep each other warm? That’s good they all arrived alive! And that’s nice you got so many females! I imagine some people would be upset about that if they wanted a lot of heavy meat birds but you seem happy about it! I would be too I think :)

Mice??:lau I am soooo sure you meant *mine* but the feed store selling mice just made me giggle :oops:

Hahahaa!!! What a funny typo!

:lau

Wow! Awesome.

X2

Oooh, I want Buckeyes too, and Wyandottes, and I would love Barnevelders too, and also Dominiques. Tried and true.

I want soooo many breeds it’s ridiculous lol I have a huge list. Maybe one day I can get all the breeds I want lol

First shipment got here Thursday morning from Hoover's, second order will be here first week of March from Valley Farms and third order will be here end of April from Northstar Poultry. Too many breeds to list. When all said and done I will have bought/ordered 116 chicks in 2019. 30 are broilers so 8 weeks after they arrive I will be down to ONLY 86.

Wow big orders!! That’s awesome!

Yes planning my trip to get Spring chicks on Feb 16th!!:yaHeaded over to Land O'Lakes to Holloways and I can't wait I feel like a kid at Christmas :love The plan right now for my flock is Welsummers, RIR's, Barred Rocks and maybe some Australorps :) Just can't decide if I want to bring home a rooster or not with them since they will be free ranging part of the time....:idunnoIt doesn't matter either way just can't wait:wee:jumpy

Awesome!! Is this your first flock? If you are allowed to have roosters where you are, I would definitely get one! They are definitely great flock protectors. And you could maybe hatch some chicks! :D

I ordered my first chicks from Meyer last July and my hens are finally starting to lay from that group. Silver spangled hamburg, speckled sussex, dominique, golden cuckoo marans and golden laced wyandotte. All have been great and I was pleasantly surprised at how dark the eggs from my cuckoo marans are. I had ordered welsummers but they didn't hatch as many as they thought they would and let me replace with the cuckoo marans for no charge. My speckled sussex are my favorite breed so far and I actually ordered sussex hatching eggs from a private breeder and hatched out my first eggs in January. Sussex chicks are doing good! I will be putting black copper marans and cream legbar eggs in the incubator Sunday.

Nice!! I thought about getting Marans or Welsummers to have some more variety in my eggs (dark eggs or speckled) but then I didn’t. Good luck with the hatches!!

I will be getting chickys within the next week! so exciting!!

Yayyyy!! So exciting! :D

Thank you KDOGG331! Yes I can have a rooster I'm out here in the country, not within city limits I'm thinking I may go ahead and get one since we are raising these from baby chicks maybe he won't be mean. We have had chickens before quite a while back but never have raised them from baby chicks so this time is special.:) Very excited!!

I told them, if I got girls I would not mind and they would go into egg production.
fryboconroy.PNG
Here is a boy at 4 weeks
and a girl at 4 weeks
frygibess.PNG

Attachments

• fryboygsalia.PNG
    fryboygsalia.PNG
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 4
Thank you KDOGG331! Yes I can have a rooster I'm out here in the country, not within city limits I'm thinking I may go ahead and get one since we are raising these from baby chicks maybe he won't be mean. We have had chickens before quite a while back but never have raised them from baby chicks so this time is special.:) Very excited!!

No problem! And that’s good!! We can technically have one here I think but we have close neighbors in the back despite being on almost 3 acres so I don’t think they would appreciate a rooster haha plus I don’t think I would either :lau but yeah, I think a lot depends on breed and individual chicken too but there are lots of nice ones and raising it yourself I think will definitely help :) one thing I will say though is I have heard some RIR roos can be really mean so if you get one, I wouldn’t get an RIR roo. I would get maybe an Orpington roo or an Ameraucana or Easter Egger. Those are all supposed to be really nice roos, especially EEs. Or if you want purebreds, I think a BR or Australorp should be good. Although if you get a roo from a breed that lays cool colors, you can hatch more colorful layers. :D and that’s awesome! I bet you are!! Raising them from chicks is a lot of fun! :)

I told them, if I got girls I would not mind and they would go into egg production.View attachment 1668219 Here is a boy at 4 weeks
and a girl at 4 weeksView attachment 1668221

Nice! They probably love when people say they will take any gender :) of course it’s usually probably especially appreciated with males since most people don’t want them but that’s one thing I do love about Meyer’s is that they do try to adopt every chick out. Like they have the free mealmaker chick option with every order and they have the Adopt Me special for chicks (or turkeys or anything really) that hatches late and they find later, and lots of meat specials to try to adopt the boys out and laying specials and all kinds of stuff. Idk, I just love that they try so hard to find homes for the chicks. :D not every hatchery does.

And awwww so cute!! Wow that boy has a big comb! Lol are those Orpingtons?

Back
Top Bottom