Pics
Greenish olive speckle is a blue isbar/blue cochin/LO it is kinda ugly BTW.

Interesting mix!! And LOL does it at least lay well?

I'm picking up my chicks Wednesday! 2 Mille fleur OEGB, 2 Crevecouer, 5 Iowa Blues, 2 Frizzle Cochins, 2 Black Langshans, 2 Cream Brabanters, 2 Spangled Russian Orloffs, and 2 Speckled Sussex. I'M SO EXCITED!!:wee:wee

Nice mix! I looked into Iowa Blues a while ago but then I never got any and tbh forgot about them :oops: you will have to let me know how you like them!

I hatched out 2 LF black cochins out of my show stock almost a week ago. I really want some more though. I would love to have my dream flock put together, I guess it will have to wait 6 years though.

Nice!! Cochins seem like a cool breed. And I would love to too but I too have to wait, sadly hah

ice mix! I looked into Iowa Blues a while ago but then I never got any and tbh forgot about them :oops: you will have to let me know how you like them!
I am excited about all of them, but especially the Iowa Blues! I even ordered one rooster, on purpose :lau I have heard great things about them. I will keep you posted how it goes.

I candled this morning, and had to pull the little AC egg it had quit on day 15, the yolk was not absorbed at all,
eggsw.PNG

These 4 are doing well,
anegg.PNG
the blue one looks like it will hatch first. The dark is one I put in incubator one day later. The interesting thing about the dark one if it hatches, mom is a welsummer, dad is BCM be nice to get a hen that lays really dark eggs. day 18/19

I am weighing my 2 cochins as they grow just to see weight gain, and since there is only 2 it makes it easy!
View attachment 1669285 View attachment 1669286
As you can tell this little one doesn't even tip the scale!
View attachment 1669292
The average Cochin egg weighs about 23 oz
I didn't order bantams, but I'm wondering if my cochins and brahmas are bantams. They're not nearly as big as everyone says they are. Or are they slow Growers? Mine are about 6 months old.

I didn't order bantams, but I'm wondering if my cochins and brahmas are bantams. They're not nearly as big as everyone says they are. Or are they slow Growers? Mine are about 6 months old.
Share some pictures? The size difference between bantams and standards are quite apparent. Most standard Brahma and cochin take 2 years to fully mature.

Cochins and brahmas are extremely slow growing. For males to completely mature can take up to 3 years. By one year they have usually finished growing in bone structure but have to fill out yet.

Here are some of my younger ones from this fall. They may look different because they come from my, and some friends show and breeding stock
20190210_112314.jpg
a pullet 6-7 months old

20190210_112252.jpg
a cockerel 6-7 months old

Screenshot_20190210-112034.jpg

A cockerel around 8 months old

Back
Top Bottom