Pics
That's great to hear!! What are your thoughts on the others I listed? I'm not a very experiance chicken owner. I've only owned EE, Barred Roxk, Isa Brown, Rhode Islands and mutts
The spitz, jersey giants, turkens and sussex are all great hardy birds! The Lakenvelders I have never owned, and I do not know anyone who does, if I remember correctly they are cold hardy, but I could see there combs as being an issue. The polish are my biggest concern, I have never had luck with them, and I know there crests get into the way.

The spitz, jersey giants, turkens and sussex are all great hardy birds! The Lakenvelders I have never owned, and I do not know anyone who does, if I remember correctly they are cold hardy, but I could see there combs as being an issue. The polish are my biggest concern, I have never had luck with them, and I know there crests get into the way.
I happen to have two lakenvelders and a Polish. The lakenvelders are very independent and last summer tried to spend their nights in the tree instead of going into the coop. I got really good with a broom poking them out of the tree:D they have continued to lay throughout this winter. The Polish is a rooster, and is a big scaredy-cat. I have not had problems with hens pulling out his top feathers like I did with my previous polish roo.

Would trimming the top puff help or would it be better you think to avoid them and find something else? Cuz honestly I've got my heart set on this lavander maran and Olive egger from one breeder and a legbar from another
View attachment 1669452 Not trying to be at all negative, but I think you need to take them as they are or get a different breed. Even when he is a bit soggy, Cuzco is really quite lovely with all of his crest feathers!

Last edited:
View attachment 1669452 Not trying to be at all negative, but I think you need to take them as they are or get a different breed. Even when he is a bit soggy, Cuzco is really quite lovely with all of his crest feathers!
Oh no I totally get you aren't being negative. I just want opinions because I've never owned polish before, I just thought they looked cool. But if they wont work in my flock dynamic I'd rather not get them or force them to live like that

Oh no I totally get you aren't being negative. I just want opinions because I've never owned polish before, I just thought they looked cool. But if they wont work in my flock dynamic I'd rather not get them or force them to live like that
Polish can be picked on. The keys to keeping them successfully in a mixed flock is plenty of room, make sure there are multiple polish so the crests aren't such an oddity, and being ready to react and remove if there's problems. I personally keep my polish crests trimmed as it helps them see better and they are less hysterical and reactive.

I personally probably won't get more because they do require extra attention and maintenance. Never add just one or two polish to a mixed breed flock.

Polish can be picked on. The keys to keeping them successfully in a mixed flock is plenty of room, make sure there are multiple polish so the crests aren't such an oddity, and being ready to react and remove if there's problems. I personally keep my polish crests trimmed as it helps them see better and they are less hysterical and reactive.

I personally probably won't get more because they do require extra attention and maintenance. Never add just one or two polish to a mixed breed flock.

Thanks so much for that! I think i will avoid them then.

I am not experienced as far as chicken conformation goes, how can you tell that they are Hatchery rather than breeder chicks?
Chicks are a bit harder but adults are very obvious. Often times hatchery birds are smaller than ones that are bred to the Standard
Screenshot_20190210-133050.jpg

Screenshot_20190210-132530.jpg
Hatchery Partridge Cochin

Screenshot_20190210-133603.jpg

A Partridge Cochin bred by M&M Exhibition Poultry

Screenshot_20190210-133242.jpg
Screenshot_20190210-133510.jpg
2 Examples of Hatchery Black cochins

20190210_112314.jpg
20190210_112252.jpg

2 of my Black Cochins, not perfect but you get the idea

Back