Pics
Wow! so sorry for jumping on this thread late but I just read every single post!!! 30 pages!!! Well, I wanted to jump in because Im getting new chicks this year too. I have 7 eggs in my little brinsea incubator on day 10. Ive never incubated before so I might not be successful but its loads of fun. I got my eggs from a breeder here in MA but she also has mixes like EE etc. I wanted to add more color so I have 2 marans (black copper or wheaten, not sure which), 2 Olive eggers, 1 swedish flower and 2 blue eggs that are either pure cream legbar or maran over cream legbar.

So, i was really trying to find Tolbunt polish, Ive never had polish but I couldn't find any polish of any variety so I ended up making an order with Cackle. I had a horrible experience ordering from a hatchery before so I havent done it since (all 17 chicks DOA) anyway I ended up ordering weird breeds this time, well at least weird for me. I usually go with heritage LF breeds.
My eggs are due to hatch 3/16 and my chicks from hatchery should be here 3/15 or 3/16.
From hatchery I ordered:
5 splash silkies (straight run)
3 silver laced polish (straight run)
2 silver spangled spitzhauben (straight run)
5 dark brown egg layer mix (females) which could be French Black Copper Maran
French Black Maran
French Wheaten Maran
French Cuckoo Maran
Barnevelder

Didn't really want to order straight run but they don't sex these chickens. Looks like Ill be looking for homes for some cockerels for sure.

Can't wait until next weekend!!!!

@KDOGG331 I haven't been on the boards much this past year but so sorry to hear about the passing of your dear dog, Gator. I remember you talking so fondly of that dog and I just wanted to give you a <<<<BIG HUG>>>>

On a side note today is my oldest dogs birthday...she's 12 today.

Wow! so sorry for jumping on this thread late but I just read every single post!!! 30 pages!!! Well, I wanted to jump in because Im getting new chicks this year too. I have 7 eggs in my little brinsea incubator on day 10. Ive never incubated before so I might not be successful but its loads of fun. I got my eggs from a breeder here in MA but she also has mixes like EE etc. I wanted to add more color so I have 2 marans (black copper or wheaten, not sure which), 2 Olive eggers, 1 swedish flower and 2 blue eggs that are either pure cream legbar or maran over cream legbar.

So, i was really trying to find Tolbunt polish, Ive never had polish but I couldn't find any polish of any variety so I ended up making an order with Cackle. I had a horrible experience ordering from a hatchery before so I havent done it since (all 17 chicks DOA) anyway I ended up ordering weird breeds this time, well at least weird for me. I usually go with heritage LF breeds.
My eggs are due to hatch 3/16 and my chicks from hatchery should be here 3/15 or 3/16.
From hatchery I ordered:
5 splash silkies (straight run)
3 silver laced polish (straight run)
2 silver spangled spitzhauben (straight run)
5 dark brown egg layer mix (females) which could be French Black Copper Maran
French Black Maran
French Wheaten Maran
French Cuckoo Maran
Barnevelder

Didn't really want to order straight run but they don't sex these chickens. Looks like Ill be looking for homes for some cockerels for sure.

Can't wait until next weekend!!!!

Don’t apologize! You’re not late at all!! I want it to be an ongoing thread!! Plus it’s not even that old and the more the merrier :p

So sorry about your first hatchery experience! That is awful. :hit hopefully this time around will be better!! Sounds like you got a nice mix of chicks :)

You will have to share pictures when they arrive!! And keep us updated on your hatch! :D

@KDOGG331 I haven't been on the boards much this past year but so sorry to hear about the passing of your dear dog, Gator. I remember you talking so fondly of that dog and I just wanted to give you a <<<<BIG HUG>>>>

On a side note today is my oldest dogs birthday...she's 12 today.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate that! I definitely loved him a lot, he was a great dog. I miss him but at the same time, I’m just glad he’s not in pain anymore, you know? Anyway, thank you and :hugs to you too.

And awww happy birthday to your dog!!

I love dark eggs and was unsure of how dark hatchery marans would be. You can see 2 marans in this batch. Most of the light browns are sussex with the slightly darker being golden laced wyandotte. One lone silver spangled hamburg in the bottom right. Pardon the dirty eggs. Most of them haven't figured out the nest boxes yet.
Try golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes.
IMG_0651.JPG

Got my 8 chicks from Ideal Poultry today. 1 was DOA, 2 were almost gone and passed within 2 hours, 2 more i'm not sure about, but I'm trying. I may end up with 3 out of 8. I guess I'll be calling Ideal tomorrow. It sucks, but it happens.

The other 2 were doing better last night, but this morning they were on their last breath and didn't make it. I went to Rural King in Morganton NC and got 8 more chicks. 3 Barnevelders, 3 Sapphire Olive Eggers and 2 Asian Blacks. I think the 3 surviving from the originals are 2 Wellsummers and a Speckled Sussex.
March 2019 chicks.jpg

So sorry you lost some of your chicks. Most hatcheries are good about rectifying the order. Years ago I ordered chicks from Ideal and all survived. I have had DOA's from other hatcheries but I haven't had any hatchery chicks in many years, now I hatch my own. I have eggs in the incubator now, 1 week down 2 to go. A few years ago I wanted some Brown Leghorns and bought some chicks from our Rural King. The chicks turned out to be Partridge Rocks. I did eventually find a breeder and got my Brown Leghorns.

The other 2 were doing better last night, but this morning they were on their last breath and didn't make it. I went to Rural King in Morganton NC and got 8 more chicks. 3 Barnevelders, 3 Sapphire Olive Eggers and 2 Asian Blacks. I think the 3 surviving from the originals are 2 Wellsummers and a Speckled Sussex. View attachment 1696688

Aw so sorry to hear you lost so many of your chicks!! The new ones are adorable though!!

I have a separate bantam flock of 24, and the rest run together in my large shed, except for 2 old guys who are in the old folks wing. :)

I have my new flock in the brooder now, 1 EE, 2 SF and assorted bantams, 15 in all. I still hope to find a couple female Polish.
My Grumpy Old men live in the woodpile.

Back
Top Bottom