Pics
I'm hopefully getting 7 little ones from my hen Cloe. She is due on the 12th. :fl
0311191727-01.jpg

They do NOT have grit. As far as what I read, I was under the impression adults who were free ranged needed it. I will be heading to town soon and will stop and look for some chick sized grit. Thank you so much

No problem!! There’s some different opinions but I think generally from what I’ve seen, most say that if they get food other than commercial feed they should have it. And it’s so cheap for a bag that I just usually buy it. The grit acts as their teeth so to speak. They store it in their gizzard (pouch in the throat) and the grit grinds the food up as it passes through. So I figure they should have it. Oh and also I think it’s usually the opposite, free ranged birds usually don’t need it because they can find little stones and sand and stuff free ranging whereas the penned birds usually need it since they’re not out finding their own.

Last edited:
Well, sounds like I'll be getting another....DH just called, they had a chick from a special order come in a little weak. Customer declined to take her, so DH asked if I wanted to see what I can do for her.....another saphire olive egger (I have three in my coop brooder as it is, lol)....this little one will yo in icu in the house for now (must be the reason I didnt get around to putting that away last weekend)....of course, cant have just one lone chick, and my last batch is 3 weeks and starts integration this weekend so I guess I better pick up at least one more when I go see DH to get the baby at lunch....:oops:

Well, sounds like I'll be getting another....DH just called, they had a chick from a special order come in a little weak. Customer declined to take her, so DH asked if I wanted to see what I can do for her.....another saphire olive egger (I have three in my coop brooder as it is, lol)....this little one will yo in icu in the house for now (must be the reason I didnt get around to putting that away last weekend)....of course, cant have just one lone chick, and my last batch is 3 weeks and starts integration this weekend so I guess I better pick up at least one more when I go see DH to get the baby at lunch....:oops:

Awww that’s nice of you to take her!!! Sounds like it was meant to be LOL

I have been hatching eggs out weekly lately. The first two batches hatched out and all of the viable eggs hatched but I did have quite a few that didn't even develop. I think it may have been because maybe I didn't have the male in with the females long enough. When I separated the birds into the breeding coops and pens I waited a month before I put the eggs in the incubator but apparently that wasn't long enough. Wednesday is another hatch day and each hatch is getting better.

Back
Top Bottom