"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

This morning I checked on my third chick before going to work it's little wing was out but nothing else was and the very back of the egg was still not zipped. I took it out and found it had both somehow turned it's head in the opposite end of the egg and it had a double membrane. I took a little set of little embroidery scissors and made a tine hole threw both membranes where it could breath and maybe get itself out. Of course worried all day til I got home. It was out and moving at three. It's feathers looked droopy and dry and it was still crying like it did when the second one was kicking it. A few minutes ago it became quiet and died. Did I do something wrong? :(

Started collecting eggs for my next hatch.....
yesss.gif

-Banti
woot.gif

Quote:
lau.gif

I woke up this morning to my 7th welsummer chick just about zipped out.

Put 11 into lockdown.

Will post a pic later. But phone is tempremantal and can only do it on wifi.
woot.gif

Mama is a CCL. Papa is a Cream Brabanter or a Wheaten Ameraucana.
Very cute

Well I finally got the courage up to write a note to the people I bought my beautiful black Americauna "infertile" rooster from. It is hard, because I don't want to insult at all, yet I would want to know if it was from me. I was very kind and just explained, and asked if they have any thoughts. I'm hoping they will stand behind it, or at least let me get another. I have owned him for a month now, and have tried everything, but he just won't do his job. When I bought my trio, they had him in an isolated pen by himself, and his eyes looked a little droopy, but he was beautiful show quality, and I figured he would be fine. I do wonder though if he was separated out due to some issues. These people are professionals, who have won many awards, and I'm sure they will understand. I'm bummed though because the best part of hatching season for this year's fair is already over. I would be happy with getting some hatched for next year though. But, I can't do it unless I have a fertile rooster.

I also went into school and checked on my incubator. I ended up moving my eggs back to the mini advance before leaving school yesterday, because the humidity was fine when I took the eggs out and let it sit for a while. Sure enough, the humidity was back up again this morning. I have a paper towel under the eggs, and that was pretty wet too, and there is condensation around the outside of the incubator. The cracked egg is in there (membrane is not broken) so I do wonder if that made the humidity go back up. I did take a paper towel and sop up all of the water from one side of the reservoir, so there is less water surface area, and hopefully that will bring it down a bit. I am going to just let them in there until this afternoon and see what happens. I will check again later today.

Anyone who uses the Brinsea mini, do you get a lot of condensation during lockdown? It is even in the little tube where the electrical seems to be on the outside edge? That seems strange to me.
Yes, with mini advance I do get condensation during hatching, not as much as you seem to be experiencing though.

Quote: I hope another hatches today!
fl.gif

Update: Orust chicks starting to feather out nicely.
Awww, those are the Easter Hatch chicks?

Got another chick that the turkey sat on... It not nakeneck this time.

hopeful it is a little hen......
I hope so too.

Hi all! I'm so egg-cited to join you! This is my first time incubating so I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Just got a GQF Genesis 1588 set up today, and a dozen serama eggs ready to go in tomorrow morning!

Hi all! I'm so egg-cited to join you! This is my first time incubating so I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Just got a GQF Genesis 1588 set up today, and a dozen serama eggs ready to go in tomorrow morning!
Hi!! and WELCOME!!

Lots of useful information and very helpful people! Good luck with your Seramas!!

Question-what kind of a comb shows up as just a little point on a chick? Trying to find out more about my little NN chick. Comb looks almost like a horn on it

Last edited:
I agree with your others here- take out the rice bc it will continue to absorb your moisture. It's too early to worry about the eggs getting a little moist.  :hugs  hugs your way! 

Thank you for your kind words! Right now I have 5 pips! Today is day 20. I can't open the hatcher to get the rice out now that I have pips. It's holding steady at 75% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom