"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

I hadn't really been thinking about it since I don't want to get too attached to the babies. But, I do need to come up with some more names. The plan is to keep two female ducklings and four pullets from what is in the coop. All of the birds (looks like two ducklings and six chicks) in the incubator should get a free pass.
Anyhow! All of my birds are named after singers. So, I need to start looking for my list of names that I made up last year. And then I need some more names. I think there were only three names that I have not used yet.
Oooh! If the ducklings are male/female I can name them Meat Loaf and Patty Russo! The singer thing only started because my current rooster was supposed to be Meat Loaf. Steven Tyler just worked so much better for his personality and looks.

my kids took it a step further. I have chickens named fried, roasted, baked, soup, pie, and many other way the kids want me to cook them. I don't think they will be so happy once they realize it's actually happened and they are eating their chickens.
Might have to try that for the extra roosters. My son likes to eat our chickens.

Did eggtopsy today on the 11 eggs that didn't hatch. I feel so bad. They were all fully developed and dead in shell. The more I read on it the more I think my humidity was too high at the end. All the chicks that hatched early made it, but the rest I added more water when I took out the other chicks to keep humidity up and I must have drowned them ... I can't help but wonder if that's why my last Moran is blind...

I was under the impression that a chick cannot drown from high humidity after day 18.

Last edited:
Here is my day 21 so far...3 paints, 1 black and 2 blues?? I have 4 more pips and one has not don't anything yet...:/

My SLP eggs are not doing anything yet either....but hopefully soon!!! I don't plan on going past day 23.

Awesome!! Sounds like great progress! I have few dark ones and mysteriously marked light ones : )

I was under the impression that a chick cannot drown from high humidity after day 18.

I thought so too, but when I googled it, it came up a lot as cause for death in the final days. Maybe I'm wrong, but it would make sense because I put a lot of water in the bator....

Back
Top Bottom