Sprouting Wheat

I've been alternating between barley and wheat each day. The wheat far outgrows the barley in both height and thickness. I only tried barley because I read on here how great it is.

JT

I have just grown some last year's barley seeds for fodder using plain water but the bins had too much mold in them, so the first batch(es) will be composted. Last year I did not have much problem with mold, but I remembered that I used about a capful of bleach per gallon in the water. So I am starting that regime again to see if I can correct that mold problem.

I reread that you used Hydrogen Peroxide. Do you have any idea if Peroxide or Bleach does a better job on killing mold in fodder? I still have a big jug full of bleach from last year, but if Hydrogen Peroxide works better, I can pick some of that up.

I had great luck last year with barley seeds, but maybe I'll pick up a bag of wheat and try that this year, alternating days like you are doing. I tried to grow oat fodder last year, but that did not work out very well and I gave up on that.

I have just grown some last year's barley seeds for fodder using plain water but the bins had too much mold in them, so the first batch(es) will be composted. Last year I did not have much problem with mold, but I remembered that I used about a capful of bleach per gallon in the water. So I am starting that regime again to see if I can correct that mold problem.

I reread that you used Hydrogen Peroxide. Do you have any idea if Peroxide or Bleach does a better job on killing mold in fodder? I still have a big jug full of bleach from last year, but if Hydrogen Peroxide works better, I can pick some of that up.

I had great luck last year with barley seeds, but maybe I'll pick up a bag of wheat and try that this year, alternating days like you are doing. I tried to grow oat fodder last year, but that did not work out very well and I gave up on that.

Hydrogen Peroxide adds oxygen to the water, it is the preferred way in commercial systems. Bleach is good for cleaning the empty container from mold etc.

I found the most effective way to limit mold is to soak, rinse, drain thoroughly like down to the last few drops. For me leaving too much moisture caused mold to grow out of control and attracted gnats.

JT

Hydrogen Peroxide adds oxygen to the water, it is the preferred way in commercial systems. Bleach is good for cleaning the empty container from mold etc.

I found the most effective way to limit mold is to soak, rinse, drain thoroughly like down to the last few drops. For me leaving too much moisture caused mold to grow out of control and attracted gnats.

JT

Thanks for the reply. I think I added too much barley seed to the bins initially, and maybe they did not drain enough, causing the mold. I have decreased the amount of seeds in the bins for the past few days and those bins don't seem to be growing any mold. Plus, the bleach should help. If not, I'll be buying some Hydrogen Peroxide and give that a go.

I’m trying to start to grow fodder but I can’t find ang whole wheat seeds. At my local store there isn’t any and on other websites it’s Ridiculously expensive. Can someone help me find some?? I don’t know how much I need. I only have 4 ducks.

I’m trying to start to grow fodder but I can’t find any whole wheat seeds.

I get my wheat seeds from Power Grow Systems. Germination is fantastic. I've tried wheat from the local feed store but got a low germination rate. I got a bag of barley but the wheat gives me better sprouts per amount of seeds. So when the barley is gone it's all wheat for my girls.

JT

In todays times of hording if you can't buy any Hydrogen Peroxide in the grocery store or pharmacist you might have to purchase larger bottles from Amazon or similar for home use.

JT

Have you considered buying Sodium Percarbonate and making your H2O2 as needed? Its used by brewers frequently for sanitizing their stuff, but also available on Amazon and lots of other places. You might find it in a well equipped restaurant supply or chemical store as well. Not sure what may be available to you as local resources.

Back
Top Bottom